Is it perhaps unprofessional to rely on a PAID antivirus/firewall?
Thread poster: Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:28
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2009

I used to use AVG Free Antivirus in combination with Comodo Personal Firewall ... and then I went and bought one of the paid variants. It only slowed down my computer and so I am now back to said time-tested FREE combo.

I wonder what your experiences are.

I actually just finished removing a virus, caused by my PAID anti-virus/firewall, and so am left wondering whether it is maybe not just better to use FREE SOFTWARE.

I would be interested in hearing your arguments either in favour or against paying for protection.

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:28
English to Czech
+ ...
AVG... Oct 16, 2009

Hi Michael,
there are far better options than AVG. I've had very good experience with F-Secure. AVG often produces hoaxes and slows your machine down considerably.
Note: most antivirus systems already include a firewall today, so no need to install a separate one. Quite the opposite: installing two firewalls may be potentially dangerous because they often clash between each other.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it perhaps unprofessional to rely on a PAID antivirus/firewall?

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search