Thread poster: René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Oct 23, 2003

Hello,

As many users, I use Words'function "corrections when typing" to define abreviations for terms that comes often in a document. For example I define "gts" to become "general technical support".

Since I use Word XP, that function doesn't work "all the time". In a same sentence, it can happen that somme abreviations are developped, and then not anymore. In that cas, for my example, "gts" stays "gts", even with a space after the abreviation. The only way I found was
... See more
Hello,

As many users, I use Words'function "corrections when typing" to define abreviations for terms that comes often in a document. For example I define "gts" to become "general technical support".

Since I use Word XP, that function doesn't work "all the time". In a same sentence, it can happen that somme abreviations are developped, and then not anymore. In that cas, for my example, "gts" stays "gts", even with a space after the abreviation. The only way I found was to type a paragraph mark ("Entry") just after the abreviation. It works every time but then i have to delete the paragraph mark. It's very annoying as I use that function tens and tens of times every day.

Does anyone have that problem and/or a solution ?

Thanks in Advance - René
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:48
Catalan to English
+ ...
A possibility Oct 23, 2003

If you have several dictionaries installed, the autocorrection function only works if the text is marked for the language in which the autocorrection items were created.
If you have "Detect language automatically" checked, the program will not recognise the language and therefore not apply the correction function.

If this is the case, deselect "Detect language automatically" and it should work.

This happens to me changing from US to UK English. My autocorrect item
... See more
If you have several dictionaries installed, the autocorrection function only works if the text is marked for the language in which the autocorrection items were created.
If you have "Detect language automatically" checked, the program will not recognise the language and therefore not apply the correction function.

If this is the case, deselect "Detect language automatically" and it should work.

This happens to me changing from US to UK English. My autocorrect items in US will not work in UK and vice versa.

Andy
Collapse

OTMed (X)
OTMed (X)
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Check document language Oct 23, 2003

Hi All,

Not sure whether this is the answer you are looking for, but autotext feature depends on the language you are currently using.
In other words if, when defining the autotext entry, you work on Norwegian text, the entry won't work when you switch to Swedish and vice versa. It should work though, every time the text is marked as Norwegian.

There is a similar issue I have been trying to find the answer to for some time now.
I used to work on a WordXP tha
... See more
Hi All,

Not sure whether this is the answer you are looking for, but autotext feature depends on the language you are currently using.
In other words if, when defining the autotext entry, you work on Norwegian text, the entry won't work when you switch to Swedish and vice versa. It should work though, every time the text is marked as Norwegian.

There is a similar issue I have been trying to find the answer to for some time now.
I used to work on a WordXP that would autocorrect words using not only the customizable list of autocorrect entries, but also a built-in Polish dictionary module. Whilst I agree this feature has to be used cautiously, it can expedite the work a great deal. After switchng to Word 2000 for a while and back to XP I cannot get this feature work again. Anyone perhaps knows why/how?

Cheers

Greg
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Check your mso.acl files Oct 23, 2003

Hi Greg,

Check your mso.acl files (in Notepad). Maybe you've deleted or emptied one.

Regards,
Gerard

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 24, 2003

Gerard de Noord wrote:

Hi Greg,

Check your mso.acl files (in Notepad). Maybe you've deleted or emptied one.

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word XP: strange behaviour of automatic corrections

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »