Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 17:16
German to English
+ ...
Oct 27, 2003

Hi!

A customer of mine is trying to send me an Access database to translate (.mdb), which my Outlook (normal Outlook, not express) won't let me open.

I can see that the attachment has come in with the mail, but I can't open it. I can't even see it when I go into the mail.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Alison

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:16
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Take it out of the message Oct 27, 2003

Alison Riddell-Kachur wrote:
...A customer of mine is trying to send me an Access database to translate (.mdb), which my Outlook (normal Outlook, not express) won't let me open.

I can see that the attachment has come in with the mail, but I can't open it. I can't even see it when I go into the mail.

Alison,
it is always a bad idea to open attachment from within the messages.
Take the file out of the message, place it in a target folder and then try to open it as a file, from the folder.

You may solve the problem or, at least, you will identify if it's an Outlook problem or something else, and you may be blaming Outlook only because the file happens to be there...

I assumed that you have Access installed and working in your system but, have you also tried to open any other Access file, to check if your Access software is working fine?

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-10-27 19:29]

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Opening attachments Oct 27, 2003

directly from mail clients can result in a virus infection.
ALWAYS choose "save to disk" instead of "open". Open with the appropriate application.
Then the saved attachment file is checked by your antivirus programm first.
Regards
Andrzej

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The problem is that I can't even click onto the attachment or save it elsewhere Oct 27, 2003

Gianfranco Manca wrote:

Take the file out of the message, place it in a target folder and then try to open it as a file, from the folder.

Normally when I receive an attachment, I get a little icon for the file at the bottom of the mail. This time it just has a line at the bottom saying:

"see attached file: blahdiblah.mdb".

But I have no way of extracting the file from the mail.

Alison

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just also found this in Outlook's "Help".... Oct 27, 2003

Die Anlagensicherheit wird in zwei Stufen unterteilt. Der Zugriff auf Dateien der Stufe 1 ist blockiert und kann nicht geändert werden. Wenn Sie eine Anlage mit einer Datei der Stufe 2 empfangen, werden Sie aufgefordert, die Datei auf Ihrer Festplatte zu speichern. Wenn Sie Microsoft Exchange Server verwenden, kann Ihr Administrator bei beiden E-Mail-Sicherheitsstufen Dateitypen hinzufügen und entfernen. Dateitypen, die beiden Stufen hinzugefügt wurden, werden wie Dateitypen der Stufe 1 behan... See more
Die Anlagensicherheit wird in zwei Stufen unterteilt. Der Zugriff auf Dateien der Stufe 1 ist blockiert und kann nicht geändert werden. Wenn Sie eine Anlage mit einer Datei der Stufe 2 empfangen, werden Sie aufgefordert, die Datei auf Ihrer Festplatte zu speichern. Wenn Sie Microsoft Exchange Server verwenden, kann Ihr Administrator bei beiden E-Mail-Sicherheitsstufen Dateitypen hinzufügen und entfernen. Dateitypen, die beiden Stufen hinzugefügt wurden, werden wie Dateitypen der Stufe 1 behandelt.

A rough translation of the first sentence: "Attachment security is split into two types. Access to Type 1 files is blocked and cannot be changed." It then goes on to list type 1 files and lo and behold they include .mdb files......

O joy.

Alison
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
- Oct 27, 2003

Alison, try this one:

Tools -> Options-> Security -> uncheck the option "Do not allow to open or save the attachment likely to contain a virus".

If you are sure that the file does not contain any virus

João Brogueira
João Brogueira  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:16
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You need to make a few changes to the Windows registry Oct 27, 2003

Hi Allison,

I'm using Office XP and I had the same problem. Here's what to do in

Office 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318515

Office XP (2002):
... See more
Hi Allison,

I'm using Office XP and I had the same problem. Here's what to do in

Office 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318515

Office XP (2002):
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290497

Regards,

João Brogueira

[Edited at 2003-10-27 22:47]
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:16
Italian to English
+ ...
This is covered in great detail... Oct 28, 2003

.. on an Office Support website (free) called Woddy's Watch (www.wopr.com).
The draconian email protection in Office (and outlook express) that won't let you open a vast slew of file attchments is discussed in detail, as are the settings you can alter and a software patch you can apply which will then allow you to start receiving certain types of attachments. Although, prudence and common sense should still be
... See more
.. on an Office Support website (free) called Woddy's Watch (www.wopr.com).
The draconian email protection in Office (and outlook express) that won't let you open a vast slew of file attchments is discussed in detail, as are the settings you can alter and a software patch you can apply which will then allow you to start receiving certain types of attachments. Although, prudence and common sense should still be applied when dealing with them.

HTH

Sandy
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
English to French
The easy way Oct 28, 2003

I was confronted to that same problem, and there is an "easy" way to go around the problem:

Ask your client to zip the file and send it to you. You should be able to save the ZIP file without any problem.

Another solution, althought I did not try is probably to change the name of the file:
mydatabase.mdb to my database.mdb.doc, for instance. Unfortunately, in both case, that must be done by the customer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook won't let me open an .mdb attachment

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »