https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/15661-help_with_win98_reinstallation.html

help with Win98 reinstallation..
Thread poster: Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Local time: 07:37
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2003

Probably someone could give me the right direction at least...
My story:
I have an old (1997 make) Pentium pc. It was running Win98 no problem. Then I have installed a network card, then installed the drivers from the floppy which came with the card (Lunksys 10/100 card). During the card installation I was asked to create the logon password, username waht I did.
It seems o be working, network cable connection was alive worked, but I could not get onto the network.

... See more
Probably someone could give me the right direction at least...
My story:
I have an old (1997 make) Pentium pc. It was running Win98 no problem. Then I have installed a network card, then installed the drivers from the floppy which came with the card (Lunksys 10/100 card). During the card installation I was asked to create the logon password, username waht I did.
It seems o be working, network cable connection was alive worked, but I could not get onto the network.

I started playing with windows system files and most likely did something wrong.
After when starting Windows the system prompts me to log on but when I do it, it gives me "msdvx - as far as i rememeber - problem message and 'program has to be closed'.
When I try not to log in - the system goes into 'recognition' 'new' IDE Controllers, something else...
So I have decided to reinstall Win 98, using the startup disk. It seemed to be working.. but looked like when reinstalling itself the program have kept the corrupted files and the whole story repeats, it's asking me to log on and then - same thing.

Sometimes it switches to sagfe mode, but then it shows 'explorer' problem message stating that the system must be closed.

Please, can somebody help me to find the way, how to fix the problem. I don't mind to wipe everything out (don't know how) from the HD and reinstall everything from scrathc, even Win95 (I have startup disk and CD for Win95 as well).
Any advice is highyl appectaited (but consider me a computer challenged'.
I have a new machine and via it the access to internet, i have CDRW, and floppy drive - so i can copy some files, programs from the net.
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:37
Italian to English
+ ...
bootable floppy disk Nov 9, 2003

You will need to have or make a floppy disk which as a version of dos on it, and drivers for your PCs CD rom drive.

Boot the computer with this and when dos is running format the hard disk with the command "a:>format c: and then press return. This will then format your HDD.

Then change to the drive for your CD rom drove and run win98 setup from there. It will take about 30 to 60 mins to install all of win98.

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, Alexander, and Nov 9, 2003

Thanks a lot,
So i think i may find the proper dos and CR-ROM files on the net.

Thank you!

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:37
Georgian to English
+ ...
In case it is useful, I found one of the boot /utility discs at: Nov 9, 2003

http://www.etplanet.com/windows/bootdisks/
useful in a similar situation.
The only complication met was that a few drivers I needed to re-install weren't on the Win98 (or other installation discs) or other discs that had come with equipment I had acquired, and I needed to search for them on the internet - (ideally far better to save any of these on disc in 'good times', to avoid dif
... See more
The only complication met was that a few drivers I needed to re-install weren't on the Win98 (or other installation discs) or other discs that had come with equipment I had acquired, and I needed to search for them on the internet - (ideally far better to save any of these on disc in 'good times', to avoid difficulties later).

[Edited at 2003-11-09 19:02]
Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
United States
Member (2001)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Awesome! Nov 9, 2003

Thank you very much!

[quote]Dr. Giuli Kvrivishvili wrote:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

help with Win98 reinstallation..

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »