Trados TagEditor - Russian encoding problem (eng-rus)
Thread poster: Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 12, 2003

Hi all,

I have the following problem - when I try to translate the file in TagEditor it looks OK in the target language VIEW window, but it shows ... etc in the target PREVIEW window. Interesting - when I tried to copy and paste all this stuff with figures-tags in this very message, it shows the source word as it is, though it should be translated. Could use some help!!!

Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
What files did you translate? Nov 12, 2003

It would help to know the type of files you were trying to translate: .html, .qsc, etc.

I take it, you target is Russian. What happens if you view target in regular mode (not preview). Do you see your translation then?

Valeri Serikov
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TTX files Nov 12, 2003

Vladimir Stepanov wrote:

It would help to know the type of files you were trying to translate: .html, .qsc, etc.

I take it, you target is Russian. What happens if you view target in regular mode (not preview). Do you see your translation then?

Hi Stepan,

I translate TTX files (PageMaker, I believe). My target is Russian. I can view the files only in TagEditor. In the VIEW tab it is OK, but not in the PREVIEW window.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:09
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Preview in TAG Editor Nov 12, 2003

works properly only for HTML files.
There is no module to handle Pagemaker or IN Design or other DTP files properly. If you see the text in editor window and all characters are shown properly, so the translation should be correct. Save it monolingual ("Save target as...") using the same extension it had before.
Then import the translated text into the original document (PM, IN Design or other), adapt the styles to the proper font (ie. Arial Cyryllic), and your translation should show
... See more
works properly only for HTML files.
There is no module to handle Pagemaker or IN Design or other DTP files properly. If you see the text in editor window and all characters are shown properly, so the translation should be correct. Save it monolingual ("Save target as...") using the same extension it had before.
Then import the translated text into the original document (PM, IN Design or other), adapt the styles to the proper font (ie. Arial Cyryllic), and your translation should show OK.

Prevewing in TAG Editor does not work for all file types - I know this from my own experience.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Valeri Serikov
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No use... Nov 12, 2003

Jerzy,

I tried to save it, but when I open the target with Wordpad it shows the same tags...
But I know it should work, because I did similar jobs before.

[Edited at 2003-11-12 10:16]

Vladimir Stepanov
Vladimir Stepanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
That's not a problem Nov 12, 2003

Valery,
Not being able to view your target file should not be a problem. As far as I know, TagEditor uses tags for every Cyr. character of your translation. It should import into PageMaker without any problems.
Can you ask your client to send you a PDF file for you to check if all chars were imported correctly?
Regards,
Vladimir

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TagEditor - Russian encoding problem (eng-rus)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »