Thread poster: Jane Golding
Jane Golding
Jane Golding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:24
French to English
Feb 14, 2010

Hello,

Can anyone help with the following? I am working on the "admin" end of a web site. I have to cut and paste the French into a Word document, translate it and post the English version back on the web site in a box that looks like a simplified version of Word.

It looks fine until I save it on the site. After I have saved it, the font goes haywire and becomes larger and larger. The spaces between the lines also seem to change from single to double spacing and
... See more
Hello,

Can anyone help with the following? I am working on the "admin" end of a web site. I have to cut and paste the French into a Word document, translate it and post the English version back on the web site in a box that looks like a simplified version of Word.

It looks fine until I save it on the site. After I have saved it, the font goes haywire and becomes larger and larger. The spaces between the lines also seem to change from single to double spacing and become larger and larger. Also, the font can look squashed and random spaces between the words are removed. It is not possible to change the font on the web site.

I work on a new MacBook Pro, using Word for Mac. I phoned Mac and they said everything looked fine. I use Safari as a browser.

I would be grateful for any suggestions, as this is very annoying!

Thank you
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Something that frequently helps when pasting text from Word to a website Feb 14, 2010

is pasting it first into a txt document - using for instance notepad, and that copying it from the notepad and pasting it into the website. This way you get rid of many invisible information about the style Word attaches to text.

HTH
S

Edited to correct a typo

[Edited at 2010-02-14 14:13 GMT]

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:24
French to English
Check with the client Feb 14, 2010

Not really an answer for you, but in your shoes I would immediately alert my client and work with them to determine what the problem is and how to solve it. Your client knows all about the inner workings of their own website, and can probably provide more insight than any of us could!

That being said, have you tried pasting in "plain text" only to see if that makes a difference?

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Use TextEdit if on a Mac Feb 14, 2010

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

Something that frequently helps when pasting text from Word to a website

Agree.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:24
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If WYSIWIG edit box, reformat the text Feb 14, 2010

Jane Golding wrote:
I am working on the "admin" end of a web site. I have to cut and paste the French into a Word document, translate it and post the English version back on the web site in a box that looks like a simplified version of Word.

Aah. You risk formatting glitches if you simply paste from MS Word into such a WYSIWIG edit box. Your safest option is to first paste the text to Notepad, and then copy/paste it from there into the edit box. Of course, you'd have to apply formatting to the text manually, again.

Edit boxes like those were designed for people who do all their editing in the edit box itself, not for people who paste stuff that have been edited in other programs.

If you want to blame someone, blame the person who agreed with the web designer to use that kind of edit box. He and the web designer are both idiots (in my humble opinion).

Jane Golding
Jane Golding  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Pasting from Word to a Web Site Feb 16, 2010

Thank you for your replies! It is much better if I use Text Edit rather than Word.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font goes crazy when I paste into web site

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »