Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 15, 2003

I experienced a black-out a week ago in my neighborhood. Nothing big for most but I was a nervous wreck since I had a deadline to respect. Fortunately I was almost done. Another project manager had emailed me a small urgent project that I had to decline because of the other deadline. I might have been able to do it but I had preferred to stay on the wise side. How well inspired was I! Now imagine if I had accepted. With the black-out I never would have been able to be on time and it would have b... See more
I experienced a black-out a week ago in my neighborhood. Nothing big for most but I was a nervous wreck since I had a deadline to respect. Fortunately I was almost done. Another project manager had emailed me a small urgent project that I had to decline because of the other deadline. I might have been able to do it but I had preferred to stay on the wise side. How well inspired was I! Now imagine if I had accepted. With the black-out I never would have been able to be on time and it would have been bad for my reputation.
What kind of back-up do fellow translators use when facing such a situation?
The second manager is a new client and I have store her info in my computer. I would not have been able to call her to let her know about the delay.
What a lesson!
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:05
English to Italian
+ ...
UPS and a laptop connected to your network Nov 15, 2003

soizic wrote:

What kind of back-up do fellow translators use when facing such a situation?

Hi,
I use an UPS protecting my server and I have also a laptop connected to my network. With a reasonable data back-up policy, this protects me quite well from power failures. I would also reccomend some protection criteria in case of hard disk/CPU failures.
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines/cable issues, for delivering very urgent jobs.

[Edited at 2003-11-17 01:05]

Soizic CiFuentes
Soizic CiFuentes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:05
Member (2003)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good ideas Nov 16, 2003

Thanks Massimo! I am going to save your email. Your suggestions are very helpful.

Soizic

[/quote]
I use an UPS protecting my server and I have also a laptop connected to my network. With a reasonable data back-up policy, this protects me quite well from power failures. I would also reccomend some protection criteria in case of hard disk/CPU failures.
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines issues, for delivering very
... See more
Thanks Massimo! I am going to save your email. Your suggestions are very helpful.

Soizic

[/quote]
Also a backup GSM ready dial-up connection could help you in case of phone lines issues, for delivering very urgent jobs.

[Edited at 2003-11-15 20:53][/quote]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Black-out: no connection

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »