Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Urgent: trouble attaching large zipped files in Yahoo mail
Thread poster: Non-ProZ.com
Non-ProZ.com
Non-ProZ.com
English to German
+ ...
Dec 8, 2003

I was working with this big zip file which has seven documents. They have a lot of K as they are computer instructional manuals in Word. Lots of graphics and the like.

In any event, I finished this huge job. I went to my Yahoo account to send it. But I can't send it. It just won't attach! Every time I try to attach the files, it just keeps giving me the "attaching..." message, but it never attaches, let alone can I send it. I've tried everything. Zip files, putting together s
... See more
I was working with this big zip file which has seven documents. They have a lot of K as they are computer instructional manuals in Word. Lots of graphics and the like.

In any event, I finished this huge job. I went to my Yahoo account to send it. But I can't send it. It just won't attach! Every time I try to attach the files, it just keeps giving me the "attaching..." message, but it never attaches, let alone can I send it. I've tried everything. Zip files, putting together several smaller zip files, increasing my Yahoo storage capacity, nothing works.

And the client is expecting the job today. If I don't deliver, she may want a hefty discount or a cancellation.

Any ideas what to do? I tried to attach a much smaller document and it immediately attached. I think it definitely has to do with the sheer size of the documents, but it should still work. However, no go. What a nightmare!!!!

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Ron
Collapse

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 06:59
German to English
Send a series of emails "part 1" "part 2," etc. of zipped files Dec 8, 2003

Ron Stelter wrote:

In any event, I finished this huge job. I went to my Yahoo account to send it. But I can't send it. It just won't attach! Every time I try to attach the files, it just keeps giving me the "attaching..." message, but it never attaches, let alone can I send it. I've tried everything. Zip files, putting together several smaller zip files, increasing my Yahoo storage capacity, nothing works.

And the client is expecting the job today. If I don't deliver, she may want a hefty discount or a cancellation.

Any ideas what to do? I tried to attach a much smaller document and it immediately attached. I think it definitely has to do with the sheer size of the documents, but it should still work. However, no go. What a nightmare!!!!

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Ron

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
Stuffit Dec 8, 2003

I noticed Stuffit provides a better compression rate. Hope it can work. Good luck.

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Yahoo Briefcase Dec 8, 2003

just to be sure, check that your mailbox in yahoo is empty - if you have no paying membership it's very quick to fill completely its capacity. An alternative method for sharing your files might be to upload them in Yahoo Briefcase, which has a capacity of 30 MB, and send to your customer the link/password for downloading them. Or, if you and your customer have MS Messenger, send the files through Messenger - this method is even quicker than by e-mail.

Just a few alternatives...
... See more
just to be sure, check that your mailbox in yahoo is empty - if you have no paying membership it's very quick to fill completely its capacity. An alternative method for sharing your files might be to upload them in Yahoo Briefcase, which has a capacity of 30 MB, and send to your customer the link/password for downloading them. Or, if you and your customer have MS Messenger, send the files through Messenger - this method is even quicker than by e-mail.

Just a few alternatives...

Bye

Gilda
Collapse

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Give your file(s) another extension name Dec 8, 2003

Maybe your messenger doesn't like .zip.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Direct connection Dec 8, 2003

Ask your client to set up a modem program and you call directly with your modem program. Their program detects the carrier and then you send the file. I believe HyperTerminal will do the job. It often comes with your operating system under Start> Accessories > HyperTerminal.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Split files Dec 8, 2003

Ron, I'm sure you're aware that in Yahoo, outgoing mail attachments are limited (I believe to 1 MB both in the free and the premium versions).

So you'll either have to pack the files separately or, if this is not sufficient to get below the limit, split the zip files, which is a bit of a hassle for the customer, because they will have to re-join them on arrival.

Of course, if you have selected "Store a copy of the message" in your Sent folder, you must make sure that yo
... See more
Ron, I'm sure you're aware that in Yahoo, outgoing mail attachments are limited (I believe to 1 MB both in the free and the premium versions).

So you'll either have to pack the files separately or, if this is not sufficient to get below the limit, split the zip files, which is a bit of a hassle for the customer, because they will have to re-join them on arrival.

Of course, if you have selected "Store a copy of the message" in your Sent folder, you must make sure that your account provides sufficient storage for that (max. 6 MB in free version).

But maybe your problem is a different one. Good luck.

Endre
EB Communications
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Try in Outlook Express Dec 8, 2003

Tools/Counts/Mail/Property/Advance/Mailing/Split the messages to XXX Ko.

I have only the French version so some terms may be not exact.

Good luck.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:59
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
File transfer protocol Dec 8, 2003

And the client is expecting the job today. If I don't deliver, she may want a hefty discount or a cancellation....

I had a client who used to block my mailbox by sending me unzipped attachments.

I respectfully suggested they try FTP and they were actually gratefully in the end.

Sample version: http://www.bpftp.com/

[Edited at 2003-12-08 09:42]

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
a side note on this Dec 8, 2003

web.de and mail.com offer free email, neither are wonderful but you can receive 12 MB and 10 MB attachments into the accounts. Sending may be easier as well, but in general i agree with the first idea, breaking up the files and sending piecemeal (I had the same problem with PowerPoint documents).

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
FTP Dec 8, 2003

Yes, FTP is an excellent idea for larger files, and not only because of the (ingoing and outgoing) size limits imposed by email providers: Base64 encoding, which is generally used for attaching files to emails, bloats the amount of data sent by 33%. With larger files, this can make quite a difference (e.g. 3 MB -> 4 MB).

Endre
EB Communications

Update:
Winsplit (as suggested by Erik below) is indeed a goo
... See more
Yes, FTP is an excellent idea for larger files, and not only because of the (ingoing and outgoing) size limits imposed by email providers: Base64 encoding, which is generally used for attaching files to emails, bloats the amount of data sent by 33%. With larger files, this can make quite a difference (e.g. 3 MB -> 4 MB).

Endre
EB Communications

Update:
Winsplit (as suggested by Erik below) is indeed a good idea (for Windows systems, obviously). It's small enough to be sent to the customer and easy enough to operate. However, some clients do not really appreciate being sent unknown programs, so better clear this with them first.

[Edited at 2003-12-08 11:11]
Collapse

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Winsplit Dec 8, 2003

In addition to Endre's suggestion, I could really recommend Winsplit (appr. 300 kb) which is a quite small program for splitting up large files. The advantage compared to Winzip is that you get a number of smaller files. If you for exampel have 20 MB to split, you can decide either how many parts you want to split it in, or you simply enter the size of each part. When you have split a larger file into 25 parts, you can of course still zip these parts.

I have combined this with FTP
... See more
In addition to Endre's suggestion, I could really recommend Winsplit (appr. 300 kb) which is a quite small program for splitting up large files. The advantage compared to Winzip is that you get a number of smaller files. If you for exampel have 20 MB to split, you can decide either how many parts you want to split it in, or you simply enter the size of each part. When you have split a larger file into 25 parts, you can of course still zip these parts.

I have combined this with FTP several times and it has always worked. You only have to send the Winsplit software to your client so he could put all those parts together again.

Good luck and best regards,
Erik
Collapse

Gavin Bruce
Gavin Bruce  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:59
German to English
Sometimes.... Dec 8, 2003

I'm no expert, but in my experience, Yahoo just does that sometimes. Doesn't work, I mean. It just won't attach your files. My solution in this case is simply to send from another account and hope it works next time.

Hope it works next time.

Scott Li
Scott Li  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 12:59
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Attaching Dec 8, 2003

"Every time I try to attach the files, it just keeps giving me the "attaching..." message, but it never attaches, let alone can I send it."

This process means computer is uploading your file/attachment into Yahoo mail server then allow it to send out. If the file is large in size, it may take a while to upload your file into Yahoo server (from your ISP to Yahoo, especially if you are using 56K dial up connection). So try to give it some more time, then wait and see. If the file size
... See more
"Every time I try to attach the files, it just keeps giving me the "attaching..." message, but it never attaches, let alone can I send it."

This process means computer is uploading your file/attachment into Yahoo mail server then allow it to send out. If the file is large in size, it may take a while to upload your file into Yahoo server (from your ISP to Yahoo, especially if you are using 56K dial up connection). So try to give it some more time, then wait and see. If the file size (attachment) does not exceed 3MB (not sure), there should be no problem to send it out via Yahoo.
Collapse

Non-ProZ.com
Non-ProZ.com
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... Dec 8, 2003

To be honest, I'm not particularly computer-savvy. Don't know much about FTP's. You know, I have this Winzip and you should be able to write click on the zip file and send it in Outlook Express, but it doesn't work. I get a message saying that it isn't recognizing the user name that was given to me by default by my company Verizon. I suppose I should be able to change it to my Yahoo address or some other user name and password?

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent: trouble attaching large zipped files in Yahoo mail

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »