show/hide button (Deactivating the display of non-printable characters in Word)
Thread poster: Céline Graciet

Céline Graciet
Local time: 06:32
English to French
Jan 7, 2004

Hi all,

I've got a tiny problem but it's driving me mad. I don't like all the tabs, returns etc showing when I translate using Trados. Today, every time I close a unit, the show/hide button gets activated, I press it to hide all the characters and the next time I close a unit, it happens again. How can I make sure they're always hidden?

Would kicking the computer help? I've tried screaming at it, to no avail.

Thanks!

Céline

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:32
English to German
+ ...
I would not recommend hiding non-printables Jan 7, 2004

...since Trados TU delimiters are also hidden this way. It's definitely impossible to hide them when the TU is open - after closing it, you risk damaging segments unless you see exactly what you're doing.

My 2 cents'...
Ralf

Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
cheers Jan 7, 2004

so that's what they're called, thanks Ralf. However, I can see all the delimiters and Trados thingies anyway, as I work with the hidden text showing, it's all the little tabs and dots and arrows I don't want to see (and which the show/hide button gets rid of).

Or am I missing something?...

Ralf Lemster wrote:

...since Trados TU delimiters are also hidden this way. It's definitely impossible to hide them when the TU is open - after closing it, you risk damaging segments unless you see exactly what you're doing.

My 2 cents'...
Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:32
English to German
+ ...
Tools - Options - View Jan 7, 2004

so that's what they're called, thanks Ralf. However, I can see all the delimiters and Trados thingies anyway, as I work with the hidden text showing, it's all the little tabs and dots and arrows I don't want to see (and which the show/hide button gets rid of).

The button is a "catch-all" - essentially, it switches the "All" checkbox in Tools - Options - View: Formatting on and off. If you want to get rid of specific characters, set the checkboxes in that section accordingly.
(You did not specify which Word version you're using - my hints are based on the German version of Word 2002 (XP).)

HTH, Ralf

Céline Graciet
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Jan 7, 2004

I can't thank you enough Ralf. You've made the rest of my afternoon a whole lot easier.

Take care,

Céline

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The button is a "catch-all" - essentially, it switches the "All" checkbox in Tools - Options - View: Formatting on and off. If you want to get rid of specific characters, set the checkboxes in that section accordingly.
(You did not specify which Word version you're using - my hints are based on the German version of Word 2002 (XP).)

HTH, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

show/hide button (Deactivating the display of non-printable characters in Word)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search