Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:11
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2004

Hi everybody,

since I installed the asian fonts support for MS Word I'm not able to see any arabic font any more, except "Siddiqa". Siddiqua is a true type font, but the other arabic fonts too. I tryed to unistall everything which has somehow to do with asian fonts, but the problem persists. Has anybody an idea on how to solve it?

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
your solution Jan 7, 2004

Arturo Mannino wrote:

Hi everybody,

since I installed the asian fonts support for MS Word I'm not able to see any arabic font any more, except "Siddiqa". Siddiqua is a true type font, but the other arabic fonts too. I tryed to unistall everything which has somehow to do with asian fonts, but the problem persists. Has anybody an idea on how to solve it?
Guten Tag! I am in a very bad mood. contact, me under [email protected]. otherwise I wish you all great luck in the new yes. Brandis may be you should check a differnet link, under localization.

[Edited at 2004-01-07 21:53]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Arturo Jan 7, 2004

Pls try checking if Windows can "see" other fonts (ControlPanel > Fonts). If not, maybe there was some problem during installation of font support and the fonts need to be reinstalled. In this case you should go to ControlPanel > Fonts > File > Install new fonts, point to the folder with the fonts, click OK.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
chinese/japanese / Asian complex fonts on western PC Jan 7, 2004

Arturo Mannino wrote:

Hi everybody,

check this line, might be of mighty help!

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 03:11
English to Arabic
+ ...
Support for Asian / right-to-left alphabets in MS Windows Jan 7, 2004

Greetings.

Rather than the settings for MS Word, the culprit may be the settings for language support that may be installed and enabled inside (which?) version of MS Windows your PC uses as the OS.

If your PC's OS is MS Windows 2000 or XP (which has much better multilingual support features), I can advise on checking and correcting/installing/enabling Arabic support settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(Eng
... See more
Greetings.

Rather than the settings for MS Word, the culprit may be the settings for language support that may be installed and enabled inside (which?) version of MS Windows your PC uses as the OS.

If your PC's OS is MS Windows 2000 or XP (which has much better multilingual support features), I can advise on checking and correcting/installing/enabling Arabic support settings.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
(Enabled now with MS Windows XP,
after using -and surviving- earlier bilingual versions of MS Windows)
Collapse

Arturo Mannino
Arturo Mannino  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Jan 8, 2004

Thanks to all for your advice. I think it is now time to give you some more details about the problem and the attempts I made to solve it.
My PC runs Windows XP Pro and Office XP (also known as Office 2002, I suppose).
The thing is that I have about 20 arabic fonts, all of them True Type. The only one I can see is Siddiqua. The other ones appear as squares. When I open these fonts in the Windows font folder, they are represented using the default Word font, i.e. Arial. On the other h
... See more
Thanks to all for your advice. I think it is now time to give you some more details about the problem and the attempts I made to solve it.
The thing is that I have about 20 arabic fonts, all of them True Type. The only one I can see is Siddiqua. The other ones appear as squares. When I open these fonts in the Windows font folder, they are represented using the default Word font, i.e. Arial. On the other hand, if I do the same with Siddiqa, I see the correct characters. The only way to correctly see any font other than Siddiqa is by copying a character in the relevant Windows application (I don't know its name in english, the icon is a grey keyboard key)and pasting it in WordPad: at first the character appears as a square and the font is Arial, but I can switch to the correct view by highlighting it and changing the format to the font it was intended to be. Yet, the same does not work in Word: any attempt I make to re-format a "arial square" does not solve the problem: Word ignores it and goes back automatically to Arial.
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
It seems quite a complex issue... Jan 8, 2004

Arturo,
since this issue seems quite complex, why don't you contact the Microsoft support? An Office license should entitle you to full professional support and they have people paid to solve this kind of issues.
Good luck
Massimo

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:11
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Refer to these websites... Jan 11, 2004

I am an Iranian, EnglishPersian translator.

Please refer to these two websites for solving the problem:

www.bornaray.com
http://ziaei.com/WindowsXP/Farsi_Howto.htm

Arturo Mannino wrote:

The thing is that I have about 20 arabic fonts, all of them True Type. The only one I can see is Siddiqua. The other ones appear as squares. When I open these fonts in the Windows font folder, they are represented using the default Word font, i.e. Arial. On the other hand, if I do the same with Siddiqa, I see the correct characters. The only way to correctly see any font other than Siddiqa is by copying a character in the relevant Windows application (I don't know its name in english, the icon is a grey keyboard key)and pasting it in WordPad: at first the character appears as a square and the font is Arial, but I can switch to the correct view by highlighting it and changing the format to the font it was intended to be. Yet, the same does not work in Word: any attempt I make to re-format a "arial square" does not solve the problem: Word ignores it and goes back automatically to Arial.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to see arabic fonts

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »