Japanese Characters Corrupted on MIF 8.0 Files after Backward Conversion
Thread poster: Zhian
Zhian
Japan
Local time: 19:48
Jun 21, 2010

I am recently using Trados 2007 Ver. 8.0.1 (Build 834) on English Widows 7
My source files (English ) and Target (Japanese) (FrameMaker 08)
I convert the MIF files (FM08) without any problem to RTF files and send them to Translator who’s using Trados 2007 (Build 835)
But then get corrupted during the backward conversion process.

Can anyone help me to solve the problem or any advice.

Thanks in advance
Zhian


[Edited at 2010-06-21 04:16 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:48
English to Japanese
+ ...
Was the file translated in Word or TagEditor? Jun 21, 2010

Hi there,

Both builds are SP2 and later, so they should handle FrameMaker 8 files (which now supports unicode encoding) without the help of FontMapper.

I have seen somewhere that, to ensure the correct conversion, SDL recommend using TagEditor (after converting MIF with S-Tagger for FrameMaker). If the translator worked on the file with TagEditor, chances are there are some internal glitches and you need tech support, or the build version inconsistencies might be the possible cause.

If the translator used Word, then that could be the reason, and the quickest way is, I believe, to run the source file within Tag-editor.

Other Trados Gurus might have a better idea, though...
Paul, are you there??? What do you think?

Good luck
Rie


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Zhian
Japan
Local time: 19:48
TOPIC STARTER
it did not work the problem still remains Jun 21, 2010

thank you Matsuda-san
it did not work the problem still remains

Rie Matsuda wrote:

Hi there,

Both builds are SP2 and later, so they should handle FrameMaker 8 files (which now supports unicode encoding) without the help of FontMapper.

I have seen somewhere that, to ensure the correct conversion, SDL recommend using TagEditor (after converting MIF with S-Tagger for FrameMaker). If the translator worked on the file with TagEditor, chances are there are some internal glitches and you need tech support, or the build version inconsistencies might be the possible cause.

If the translator used Word, then that could be the reason, and the quickest way is, I believe, to run the source file within Tag-editor.

Other Trados Gurus might have a better idea, though...
Paul, are you there??? What do you think?

Good luck
Rie


[Edited at 2010-06-21 07:28 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 11:48
English to Polish
Character Set Jun 21, 2010

Have you switched Character Set setting to Symbol in S-Tagger FrameMaker?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Zhian
Japan
Local time: 19:48
TOPIC STARTER
Yes I did Jun 21, 2010

Thank you for response,
Yes I did

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Have you switched Character Set setting to Symbol in S-Tagger FrameMaker?


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Japanese Characters Corrupted on MIF 8.0 Files after Backward Conversion

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search