Thread poster: claude
claude
claude
Thailand
Local time: 10:57
English to French
Jan 19, 2004

Seems like it is an old problem but ...
In XP, the regional options allow to change the decimal point of the keypad into a comma, but this works only in Excel, not in Word. From what I read, it seems impossible to get a comma in all software. Do you confirm ?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
coma in text or in formulas? Jan 19, 2004

I think this feature is only for mathematic formulas,like in Excel or Quicken and should work for all this kind of aplications not for normal text.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Try switching the keyboard layout Jan 20, 2004

Hi Claude,
you may want to try switching your keyboard layout to English (on an operating level, not for individual applications). The ability to adapt the numeric format in Excel doesn't actually depend on the keyboard entry, IIRC.

Hope this helps, Ralf

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 20, 2004

Obviously, there is no such simple parameter. But as I used only laptops before, I had an external keypad sold with a software which allowed to change the dot in comma for all applications. Seems that there is nothing like that with regular keyboards.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
It is possible Jan 20, 2004

I'm using Czech version of Windows XP and the decimal point on numeric keypad works as comma everywhere. If I change the decimal separator character in Control Panels - Regional and Language Options, it works in Excel only.

What I'm trying to say - it is possible for the key to produce comma instead of decimal point in any application, because it works like that by default in Czech Windows. I just don't know what setting has to be changed in English Windows. The decimal separ
... See more
I'm using Czech version of Windows XP and the decimal point on numeric keypad works as comma everywhere. If I change the decimal separator character in Control Panels - Regional and Language Options, it works in Excel only.

What I'm trying to say - it is possible for the key to produce comma instead of decimal point in any application, because it works like that by default in Czech Windows. I just don't know what setting has to be changed in English Windows. The decimal separator character is surely not enough. Changing the keyboard layout also doesn't work, I think (if I switch to English layout, the key still works as comma). You might try to change the whole region, but it would mess up other things you probably wouldn't want to change (date format, currency, etc.).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Changing the dot of digital keypad in comma in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »