Latvia
Local time: 21:01
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2004

Dear all,

can, please, someone help:

I have a problem- we made a translation in an Excel file, it is a program, umpteen languages, Latvian only, when copied out to Word (the count can not be done in Excel at all, even Practicount couldn't do it, as very many cells contain more than 5 pages and no Excel functions work with such a cells), I copied it to the Word file, which now contains more than 500 000 characters. I need to have a word repetition statistics and characte
... See more
Dear all,

can, please, someone help:

I have a problem- we made a translation in an Excel file, it is a program, umpteen languages, Latvian only, when copied out to Word (the count can not be done in Excel at all, even Practicount couldn't do it, as very many cells contain more than 5 pages and no Excel functions work with such a cells), I copied it to the Word file, which now contains more than 500 000 characters. I need to have a word repetition statistics and character count, untranslated things such as : "{SPEED[M]} U / min", or at least parts within "{***}" (figure braces) excluded.

I would be grateful, if anyone could help (I guess it can be done with Trados). If you can help, please write to me at [email protected]

Thank you,

Uldis
Collapse

SysfilterMaker
SysfilterMaker
Germany
Local time: 20:01
Filtertool - maybe it works with Sysfilter for Excel Jan 25, 2004

Hi Uldis,

two things.

1. Sysfilter for Excel exports Excel files into diferent formats. Maybe you can use it with your file.

An export into the following formats is possible for free:

TXT ("tab separated - ANSI ")
HTML
UNICODE
DOC - (table form)

Furt
... See more
Hi Uldis,

two things.

1. Sysfilter for Excel exports Excel files into diferent formats. Maybe you can use it with your file.

An export into the following formats is possible for free:

TXT ("tab separated - ANSI ")
HTML
UNICODE
DOC - (table form)

Further information on my homepage :
--> http://www.ecm-engineering.de/
(Software/Sysfilter)

2. {***}

--> In Word you could delete text within "{" and "}" using search and replace.
Search for: "\{*\}"
Replacement text: "" (empty)
Activate "Wildcard search"

HTH

Regards
Wilhelm Polmann
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Try to save as text Jan 25, 2004

If you save both the original file and the translated file as plain text you know at least, how many characters you have input. Mostly such spreadsheets have the source language in one column and the translations beneath, so every language makes the file bigger by exactly the amount of characters the translation consists of.
The text files could be processed with any CAT tool I guess.

[Edited at 2004-01-25 18:14]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I probably didn't explain myself clear enough Jan 25, 2004

i already have the file in Word format, I just need help in accesment of repetitions, and amount in characters untranslated program emelents excluded- as I myself have no CAT tool at hand now.

Uldis

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

If you save both the original file and the translated file as plain text you know at least, how many characters you have input. Mostly such spreadsheets have the source language in one column and the translations beneath, so every language makes the file bigger by exactly the amount of characters the translation consists of.
The text files could be processed with any CAT tool I guess.

[Edited at 2004-01-25 18:14]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Wilhelm, Jan 25, 2004

It worked (wilcard search), not with figure brackets, though (from Win Help it seems they are themselves a part of some commands and as such Windows refused to find {*}), but first replacing "{" and "}" separately to HHH and LLL and then replacing HHH*LLL with nothing- it worked- about 7400 "HHH*LLL" were replaced with nothing in a whisk of time!

Thank you a lot!

Uldis

wi_lee wrote:
2. {***}

--> In Word you could delete text within "{" and "}" using search and replace.
Search for: "{*}"
Replacement text: "" (empty)
Activate "Wildcard search"

HTH

Regards
Wilhelm Polmann

[Edited at 2004-01-25 21:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help in count needed (Word)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »