https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/17796-powerpoint_spellchecking.html

Powerpoint spellchecking
Thread poster: baerbel
baerbel
baerbel
Local time: 00:08
English to German
+ ...
Jan 27, 2004

I cannot spellcheck German text in Powerpoint (Office XP); first appears " cannot find Dutch..", when I click that away, spellchecking in English begins, although I have German as default in Language set.What is possibly wrong there?

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:08
German to Spanish
Dutch! Jan 27, 2004

Holland speak dutch not germans.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:08
French to English
Whatever the default setting, you can choose Jan 27, 2004

Barbara Brinckmann wrote:

I cannot spellcheck German text in Powerpoint (Office XP); first appears " cannot find Dutch..", when I click that away, spellchecking in English begins, although I have German as default in Language set.What is possibly wrong there?

Firstly, you simply check in the tools section and select the fourth option in the roll-down menu gives me the language options. Select the text and then the langauge you want to use. For Germany of course, this is German and for Holland, this will be Dutch.

[Edited at 2004-01-27 21:37]

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:08
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dictionaries needed Jan 27, 2004

You could also try downloading extra dictionaries to add to your Windows O/S.

Surf to find.

Also, sometimes files that were created e.g. in German on an Italian O/S think they are Italian, which can also cause a problem!

I found it best to do "Select all", then go to Tools>Languages. Select your language and resave the file.

And remember you can't spellcheck embedded text in PPT.

Tot siens and good luck...
See more
You could also try downloading extra dictionaries to add to your Windows O/S.

Surf to find.

Also, sometimes files that were created e.g. in German on an Italian O/S think they are Italian, which can also cause a problem!

I found it best to do "Select all", then go to Tools>Languages. Select your language and resave the file.

And remember you can't spellcheck embedded text in PPT.

Tot siens and good luck
Collapse

baerbel
baerbel
Local time: 00:08
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spellcheck in Powerpoint Jan 27, 2004

Hi, all there,
das hab ich alles schon ausprobiert. Es bleibt dabei, er checkt englisch und zwar JEDES Wort z. B. bei "dem" kommt "deer ü.ä." raus, manchmal kommt das gleiche deutsche Wort z. B. "ausgleichen" > ausgleichen etc.

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:08
English to French
+ ...
Spellchecking is tricky in PWP Jan 28, 2004

and any time you set a language as default, this will take effect only the next time you'll run the program. That's why you can't get the German spellchecker working.

So far the only solution I have found is to hightlight slide after slide. You select each textbox and then you set the language. I thing the best way to go along without forgetting any piece of text is to activate the automatic spellchecking function (you know thos red ondulated lies under the word).

It's
... See more
and any time you set a language as default, this will take effect only the next time you'll run the program. That's why you can't get the German spellchecker working.

So far the only solution I have found is to hightlight slide after slide. You select each textbox and then you set the language. I thing the best way to go along without forgetting any piece of text is to activate the automatic spellchecking function (you know thos red ondulated lies under the word).

It's a question of patience (and I do hope you are not a smoker wanting to quit).
Best of luck!

Bruno Magne
POrto Alegre
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint spellchecking

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »