Soliman Hamroush
Soliman Hamroush  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 18:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
Aug 26, 2010

Dear All

I would like to thank in advance who ever will share and help here..

I have alittle question, one of my client asked me to translate his website, he does not provide any thing but the url, so
How can I translated a website and all what I have is just the url??

Help please,

Thanks
Soliman A Hamroush

Frank van Thienen (X)
Frank van Thienen (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:00
Dutch to English
may need doc Aug 26, 2010

Hi Soliman,

If the URL links to a single webpage, without any links, or with one or two linked pages that you can easily copy, then you're OK.

However, if this is a website that has a whole series of other pages linked to it, then I'd go back to the client and ask him to send you the whole site in a series of documents, any format that you can handle (html, MSWord, whatever...).

Nothing wrong with going back to the client. The alternative is to spend more,
... See more
Hi Soliman,

If the URL links to a single webpage, without any links, or with one or two linked pages that you can easily copy, then you're OK.

However, if this is a website that has a whole series of other pages linked to it, then I'd go back to the client and ask him to send you the whole site in a series of documents, any format that you can handle (html, MSWord, whatever...).

Nothing wrong with going back to the client. The alternative is to spend more, time, charge the client more, which would make him unhappy. A few minutes of work on his side will make your job easier and will lower the price he has to pay.

good luck,
Frank
Collapse

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 18:00
German to Arabic
+ ...
Use a TM Aug 26, 2010

Dear Soliman,

1- First of all, let the client send you the files\texts he wants to translate. If he just gives you a URL, you can't be sure, that you are working on only the parts he wants. This can be a big problem for you.

2- Preferably, ask for the source texts as HTML and use a TM tool to translate them, so that you can provide the client with similar final layout.

3- Mirroring the final text layout to be right aligned and to read from right to left var
... See more
Dear Soliman,

1- First of all, let the client send you the files\texts he wants to translate. If he just gives you a URL, you can't be sure, that you are working on only the parts he wants. This can be a big problem for you.

2- Preferably, ask for the source texts as HTML and use a TM tool to translate them, so that you can provide the client with similar final layout.

3- Mirroring the final text layout to be right aligned and to read from right to left varies depending on the details of the web page design. This requires some experience and is a different task than just translating the text.

Best regards

[تم التعديل في 2010-08-26 03:36 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 23:00
English to Thai
+ ...
My EN-JP website project Aug 26, 2010

Arabic Translation Team wrote:
3- Mirroring the final text layout to be right aligned and to read from right to left varies depending on the details of the web page design. This requires some experience and is a different task than just translating the text.

I absolutely support this idea. Use a CAT tool to translate and do a series of tests of the website with extra fee. My EN-JP, EN-TH website projects met many localization troubles. In EN-JP project, an agency fr software translation instructed me wrongly to translate HTML files with MS Word/MS Frontpage. This will induce troubles on later steps.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website translation question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »