Free downloadable spellcheck?
Thread poster: AnneM (X)

AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:24
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2004

Hi,
I am working away from home for a couple of days on a computer which doesn't have US/UK spellcheck installed in Word (nor do I have the installation CD)

Does anybody know of a solution? (apart from sending my texts to a friend who is "tired" of me!)

Thanks,

Anne

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Online spellchecking Feb 17, 2004

I assume you have internet connection, so might I suggest: http://www.spellonline.com/

You can copy and paste your text there and then it spellchecks for you. I just tested it for 2 pages and it seems to work fine. Not sure if it works for really long texts, but this might be a good interim solution (saves you from having to download/install something).

Good luck!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Useful Usenet link Feb 17, 2004

AnneM wrote:
I am working away from home for a couple of days on a computer which doesn't have US/UK spellcheck installed in Word (nor do I have the installation CD).

Google using Google Groups for the answers to a similar post of mine some time ago. Some of the answers are interesting.

Subject line: Free spell checker needed
Newsgroup: sci.lang.translation

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 23:24
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Another online spell-checking tool Feb 17, 2004

Spellink

Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
http://spellcheck.freeurl.com/ Feb 17, 2004

This one is the biggest I could find after a couple of checks, with a nice presentation. Spellckecker does 1500 characters less.

How unobliging of the "tired" friend!

The one proposed above seems to do larger texts:

http://www.spellonline.com/cgi-bin/spell_1.pl

Does anybody know of a solution? (apart from sending my texts to a friend who is "tired" of me!)

[Edited at 2004-02-17 14:49]

AnneM (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 18, 2004

Thank you everybody for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free downloadable spellcheck?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search