Thread poster: Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 20, 2004

I use IE6.0 (latest pack). This morning I noticed that when I open a browser using Internet Explorer I get the following message after several minutes:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Program:
C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/IEXPLORE.EXE

This application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team."

The browser then shuts down automatically and I have to reopen another one. I suspect the problem is with IE itself but am not sure. I've tried accessing several websites but the problem persists with all of them even with the Microsoft Internet Explorer site itself (I clicked on a link to get online help, waited for it to load, it didn't load, and the error message above appeared and the brower window went zap).

Would appreciate some guidance.
Marcus

[Edited at 2004-02-23 04:18]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution Feb 21, 2004

I posted a query in the Internet Explorer newsgroup at:

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx

(click on Internet Technologies > Internet Explorer 6.0 > Browser)

Apparently this problem has just surfaced recently judging from the frequency of similar posts. The issue is surely related to Internet Explorer and nothing else. Spyware and search-hijackers surreptitiously creep into your system when you visit some websites (in my case, when downloading music files from KaZaa).

Someone sent me the solution:

http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/CommonName.html

A bit cumbersome but worth it. It's recommended to download the shareware Ad-aware 6 and Spybot-S&D 1.2 and run them to get rid of all the spyware and illegal cookies in your system.

Happy zapping,
Marcus

[Edited at 2004-02-23 15:46]

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Good advise! Feb 22, 2004

Marcus Malabad wrote:
It's recommended to download the shareware Ad-aware 6 and Spybot-S&D 1.2 and run them to get rid of all the spyware and illegal cookies in your system.

Thanks Marcus,
I was having similar trouble but I detected nothing wrong with Ad-aware 5. Now following your advise I downloaded Ad-aware 6 and the last Spybot, and this one found a lot of previously unfound garbage.
Cheers,
Enrique

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Visual C++ runtime error in Internet Explorer 6

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search