Thread poster: a2ztranslate
a2ztranslate
a2ztranslate  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:05
English to Japanese
+ ...
Mar 4, 2004

hello all, a brief query to se if anyone has spotted this problem before.

when building webpages in german, we usually use the following code for language and charset

we always test on both PC Win 98+, Mac OS9.1 +, IE5+, Netscape 4+ and Safari. We just updated our Safari browser and have since noticed that no matter what tinkering we do, the umlaut won't display correctly (comes up as "&"). Any work around ideas?

Or should we just move to UTF
... See more
hello all, a brief query to se if anyone has spotted this problem before.

when building webpages in german, we usually use the following code for language and charset

we always test on both PC Win 98+, Mac OS9.1 +, IE5+, Netscape 4+ and Safari. We just updated our Safari browser and have since noticed that no matter what tinkering we do, the umlaut won't display correctly (comes up as "&"). Any work around ideas?

Or should we just move to UTF?
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Central European charset Mar 5, 2004

In the file the right charset must be declared: META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"

And when you view the page you must set the coding to Central European.
There are sites for webmasters, where you can ask colleagues to check your pages and say if they are ok. The one I use is www.topwebmaster.net, but its in German of course.
Provide me with a link
... See more
In the file the right charset must be declared: META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"

There are sites for webmasters, where you can ask colleagues to check your pages and say if they are ok. The one I use is www.topwebmaster.net, but its in German of course.
Provide me with a link and I will have a look at your page!

[Edited at 2004-03-05 02:38]
Collapse

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:05
Czech to German
+ ...
Not Central European but Western Mar 6, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Sorry to correct Heinrich but ISO-8859-1 is Western, not Central European (which is used for Czech, Polish etc.). With CE you would get strange things when trying to view German "Umlaute":(

HTH!
Charlotte

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 23:05
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Yes, I was wrong! Mar 7, 2004

It's quite typical for someone who lives in Finland since 1975 to think of Germany as Central European. Finns refer all the time to Germany als "in Central Europe" rather than to say "in Germany", and that has had its influence on me.

a2ztranslate
a2ztranslate  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:05
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
charset=iso-8859-1 Mar 7, 2004

is set as you recommend, that is what we always use for german. in IE it views fine, but not on safari. will have to do some more tinkering.

thanks for the comments

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

german charset for web pages

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »