Thread poster: Anthony Green
Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 20:56
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 10, 2004

When I make text adjustments to a PDF file of around 400K it soon grows to 20 times that size. Is there anything I can do to prevent this? It makes exchanging files extremely laborious!

Anthony

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
use Save As instead of Save Mar 10, 2004

Try using the Save As command when you're done, instead of Save - that should re-compact it.
HtH,
Roberta

Florence Bremond
Florence Bremond  Identity Verified
France
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
and also.. Mar 10, 2004

If you have Acrobat 6, there is an option "reduce the size of the file" (or whatever it's called in an English version)
("File", 10th line)
I cannot remember this option in the previous versions however.
Of course, this is to be done *after* Roberta's solution.

Anthony Green
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perfect ! Mar 11, 2004

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Try using the Save As command when you're done, instead of Save - that should re-compact it.
HtH,
Roberta

This is a perfect solution - from 6957 Kb to 251 Kb - thanks so much, Roberta!

Anthony Green
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm "still" on Acrobat 5 Mar 11, 2004

Oddie wrote:

If you have Acrobat 6, there is an option "reduce the size of the file" (or whatever it's called in an English version)
("File", 10th line)
I cannot remember this option in the previous versions however.
Of course, this is to be done *after* Roberta's solution.

Roberta's solution was more than adequate, so no need to upgrade yet again! thanks

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Save As useful for all formats, not just PDF Mar 11, 2004

the Reduce File Size (or equivalent wording) mentioned by Oddie is - I think - useful to compact a PDF file only if it is set for compatibility with earlier versions - by reducing its backward compatibility, less data are written to the file, so it gets smaller.

Useful tip:
The Save As trick works with most applications, including Word, PageMaker, etc.
As far as I can remember from my tech support days: when you use Save, all new data are added to the end of the file;
... See more
the Reduce File Size (or equivalent wording) mentioned by Oddie is - I think - useful to compact a PDF file only if it is set for compatibility with earlier versions - by reducing its backward compatibility, less data are written to the file, so it gets smaller.

Useful tip:
The Save As trick works with most applications, including Word, PageMaker, etc.
As far as I can remember from my tech support days: when you use Save, all new data are added to the end of the file; when you use Save As, any older redundant data gets flushed from the file. So you will see a greater difference in file size if you use Save As after having used Save several times on a file. Especially when dealing with large and frequently edited files, it is a good prevention against file corruption... a bit like Vitamin C!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Preventing a PDF file from growing so much

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »