How to count words in partial documents
Thread poster: Jennifer Baker

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:02
Member (2004)
Italian to English
Mar 13, 2004

Can anyone explain how to count the words in only part of a Word document? For example, only 5 pages out of ten...
Thanks to all in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:02
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
highlight... Mar 13, 2004

Highlight the text you want to count and then use the count function in Word (under tools/strumenti). It will count only the highlighted section.

PAS  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
and remember Mar 13, 2004

that Word does not count text in text boxes.

sorry - that's a bit unclear.

Word _can_ count text in text boxes, but you have to place the cursor in each text box individually and use the word count option.
Tedious.

[Edited at 2004-03-13 18:03]

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
If the areas you want to count are not contiguous Mar 13, 2004

Sometimes the words you want to count are not in a single block. You might go through the document highlighting each section you want to count, writing down the counts, then adding them up.

But here is a faster and easier way.

1. Make a working copy of the document.

2. In this working copy, colour the text of each section that you do not want counted. Use a text colour that does not appear elsewhere in the document.

2.(a) The fastest way to do this is, after you have coloured one part, select the next section to be coloured, and type CTRL-Y. This key combination means "repeat the last action". Since the last action was to colour the text, that's what it will do. This way you don't have to keep mousing back and forth between the text and the text colour icon on the menu bar.

3. Delete all the text you have coloured:
(a) Open the Find/Replace dialogue.
(b) In the "Find what" box, enter "Any character" (^?) from the "special" menu.
(c) With the cursor still in the "Find what" box, select "Font" from the "Format" menu at the bottom of the Find/Replace window, and choose the colour.
(d)Enter nothing into the "Replace with" window.
(e)Do "Replace All".

4. Now all the text you coloured is gone. Do a word count on the document.

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
working on it Mar 14, 2004

Thanks to everyone for your help. I tried cbolton's advice, but keep coming up with the total word count. I'll try goodword's idea and let you know.
J.

mary bowen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:02
Spanish to English
BOTH methods work! Mar 14, 2004

CBolton's method, and GoodWords method, are both terrific. Thanks for the tips!

United States
Member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 15, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I figured it out!

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Fast and easy? Mar 17, 2004

GoodWords wrote:
But here is a faster and easier way.

2. In this working copy, colour the text of each section that you do not want counted.

Why bother to color it when you can just delete it straight away? THAT would be fast and easy and is in fact what I always do. It's a working copy after all...?

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Foolproof Mar 22, 2004

tectransDE wrote:
Why bother to color it when you can just delete it straight away? THAT would be fast and easy and is in fact what I always do. It's a working copy after all...?

My method is for the mistake-prone (like me). Mistakes are easier to recover when the text is still all there. Moreover I make sure to save the colourful full version, not the version with deletions. Then I have it as a reference, and I can see at a glance which text was counted, which text was not, and their relationship to each other.

Moreover, I don't know if it was clear from the above discussion that deletions are only useful if the text to be counted isn't in a single block. If it is all in one block, of course the easiest method was already given: highlight the text you want to count, and do "Word Count."

[Edited at 2004-03-22 22:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to count words in partial documents

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search