https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/195550-google_trouble_right_now.html

Google trouble, right now
Thread poster: Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:12
German to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2011

Am I the only person with this problem?
Yesterday morning (European time), I was unable to use any of the Google websites - when I tried to go to one, the browser (FireFox 3.6.6) opened a new tab and then froze without putting anything into it, and Firefox did not respond to anything that I tried (e.g. click to close the tab or to switch to a different tab). My only exit was to click the "close" button and then "kill" the program because Windows (XP) saw it as "not responding". At the same
... See more
Am I the only person with this problem?
Yesterday morning (European time), I was unable to use any of the Google websites - when I tried to go to one, the browser (FireFox 3.6.6) opened a new tab and then froze without putting anything into it, and Firefox did not respond to anything that I tried (e.g. click to close the tab or to switch to a different tab). My only exit was to click the "close" button and then "kill" the program because Windows (XP) saw it as "not responding". At the same time I had no problem in visiting other websites unrelated to Google. That situation lasted for at least 5 minutes, possibly over an hour (judging from when I made the attempts).
Today it has happened again, a few minutes ago.

Do you have an explanation or have you had a similar experience?

Oliver
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:12
English to French
+ ...
Not here Mar 30, 2011

No problem with Google here in the NE USA, but FF 4 is a total piece of trash, and crashes at least once per hour.

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:12
English to Spanish
I'm afraid it's an issue on your end... Mar 30, 2011

because Google's availability hasn't had a hitch in ages. However, a great site to check these things is:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

As the name implies, it will check any website to see if the problem is on your end or not.

Perhaps you updated Firefox recently to the latest version and some plug-in acted out... (BTW, try Chrome, I was a h
... See more
because Google's availability hasn't had a hitch in ages. However, a great site to check these things is:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

As the name implies, it will check any website to see if the problem is on your end or not.

Perhaps you updated Firefox recently to the latest version and some plug-in acted out... (BTW, try Chrome, I was a happy FF user until all the Chrome extensions I needed became available and then I never looked back).
Collapse

veratek
veratek
Brazil
Local time: 03:12
French to English
+ ...
fine for me Mar 30, 2011

I used Google a few times today without encountering any problems.

I can't imagine them being out for 24 hours, ever. Well, normally speaking.

It must be something else. Have you tried accessing their sites with another browser?

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:12
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Mar 30, 2011

Thank you for your observations which were interesting, but only slightly helpful in this case!
Not only was Google freezing Firefox, if I tried to start Internet Explorer (version 6), nothing appeared on the desktop, although the process iexplore did appear in the list (from Ctrl+Alt+Del - task manager). This continued several hours later (at 22:45 BST, = 21:45 GMT). I am using a "restricted" (non-admin) user account in Windows XP home, SP2 and these problems have not occurred previously
... See more
Thank you for your observations which were interesting, but only slightly helpful in this case!
Not only was Google freezing Firefox, if I tried to start Internet Explorer (version 6), nothing appeared on the desktop, although the process iexplore did appear in the list (from Ctrl+Alt+Del - task manager). This continued several hours later (at 22:45 BST, = 21:45 GMT). I am using a "restricted" (non-admin) user account in Windows XP home, SP2 and these problems have not occurred previously (i.e. for a couple of years). I use the restricted account (when I don't need admin privilege) to reduce (not eliminate) the risk of viruses being installed.

I appear to have solved it (or is the change only temporary?) by upgrading FireFox from 3.6.6 to 3.6.8. I can now access Google sites (.uk, .de, .lu) from this same restricted user account via Firefox, and Internet Explorer also starts and appears on the desktop.

Provisional conclusion: I seem to have solved it but I don't know what caused the problem although this would interest me.

Oliver
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google trouble, right now

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »