Can I acquire an MS Word font from a source text?
Thread poster: Anne Lee

Anne Lee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:19
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 26, 2004

One of my clients has a wonderful font, i.e. Palatino. I can produce my translations in the same font by overtyping the source text but I wonder whether there is a way for my MS Word programme to 'adopt' this font from the source text. Typically, I bought a CD-rom with a 1000 fonts in the vain hope it would have Palatino, but it didn't. I would not use the font for other clients, but having it myself would make it easier for me to use my CAT-tool for his translations.

[Edited at 2004-03-26 11:57]

Red Cat Studios
United Kingdom
Member (2002)
English to French
+ ...
You need to download this font Mar 26, 2004

Please use the following link:

Download Palatino Font -
... The Palatino font was created in 1949 by Hermann Zapf. The Palatino font
design has roots in a style of Zapf's penmanship. The Palatino ...

www.fonts-free.com/font/palatino.html

ArturSz
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
link Mar 26, 2004

http://fonts.quadratic.net/zipfiles/PALATINO.zip
this file is compressed archive containing inside truetype fonts, under MS windows, you shoud extract it to the -c:\windows\fonts - folder (in most cases)

[Edited at 2004-03-26 16:16]

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way of incorporating it from the source file? Mar 26, 2004

hmmm... Downloading it from the first link would cost 76 dollars (to include the italics, which I need)and via the second link I get a free file that doesn't seem to be recognised as a font when I unzip it... I don't mind paying, actually, but I'll try and find a European site to download it from. I remember reading somewhere it is possible to incorporate fonts in Word if you type in sample text, but maybe I was wrong. Thanks for the responses so far.

Michael Hesselnberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
French to German
+ ...
Look at here Mar 26, 2004

[quote]Anne Lee wrote:

I just downloaded it from a German provider for free and Word does recognise the zip file. When you extract the zip.file you must specify "extract to program files".
Here is the link:
http://home.vr-web.de/was/pplx.html
Have a nice day
Michael

xxxOlaf
Local time: 06:19
English to German
Have the vendor embed TrueType fonts in the document Mar 26, 2004

Word has an option to embed Truetype fonts.
Tools > Options > Save > Embed True Type fonts. However, this might not work with all truetype fonts, because some fonts are embed-proteced.

United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 29, 2004

Embedding the truetype font was useful; I didn't know that option. The downloadable file contained Palatino Linotype which is already one of my fonts but I hadn't realised how close it ressembles Palatino and it will do. Many thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I acquire an MS Word font from a source text?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search