Can't get used to Gmail e-mail format...
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 15:40
English to French
Apr 26, 2011

Hello,

I can't get used to Gmail e-mail format , especially when replying to e-mails. Sometimes I have an e-mail thread that goes on for weeks, and I have a hard time following the thread. I try to locate attached files too and I have to go to the bottom of the page to find them.

I don't have this problem with Yahoo Mail as it easy to spot the incoming mail and the answer from myself.

Do you understand what I mean?

Also I wonder what is the re
... See more
Hello,

I can't get used to Gmail e-mail format , especially when replying to e-mails. Sometimes I have an e-mail thread that goes on for weeks, and I have a hard time following the thread. I try to locate attached files too and I have to go to the bottom of the page to find them.

I don't have this problem with Yahoo Mail as it easy to spot the incoming mail and the answer from myself.

Do you understand what I mean?

Also I wonder what is the real plus of using Gmail other Yahoo Mail and others?

Good day.

[Edited at 2011-04-26 15:54 GMT]
Collapse

cranium
cranium
French to English
+ ...
Settings > General > Conversation view off Apr 26, 2011

Hi - try that and you should start to receive all your messages separately again.

patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
I know exactly what you mean... Apr 26, 2011

I hate it too! I use Windows Live Mail to manage my email accounts and it shows them all in the same format which lets you easily follow threads. It's invaluable for tracking conversations with clients. Gmail on its own is infuriating!

Hope this helps.

Heidi Fayolle (X)
Heidi Fayolle (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
Real plus of Gmail Apr 26, 2011

Gmail filters spams quite perfectly, Yahoo doesn't. For me Gmail has never failed in about 5 years (since I use it), yahoo has several times.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Email client Apr 26, 2011

I suppose you know you can use an email client to manage your Gmail messages? With POP3 protocol you can just download the messages, IMAP allows you to manage the messages and folders directly.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too Apr 26, 2011

I hate it. I only use when Yahoo isn't working for some reason. And any mail program that take more than 30 seconds to configure or reset is no use to me either.
True, gmail seems to be more reliable than yahoo, but the user interface is much clunkier.
BTW I don't use Outlook either.

[Edited at 2011-04-26 16:59 GMT]

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try changing the Subject line Apr 26, 2011

Hi Alexandre,

If you change the Subject, that will start a new thread.

I like emails to have a subject line that clearly indicates their content, so my Gmail threads are only as long as the string of messages about the same topic.

I've got so used to this that I've even changed the settings of my Hotmail so those messages too are now grouped by conversations. This makes it easier to find the replies to my emails, particularly when I write to several peopl
... See more
Hi Alexandre,

If you change the Subject, that will start a new thread.

I like emails to have a subject line that clearly indicates their content, so my Gmail threads are only as long as the string of messages about the same topic.

I've got so used to this that I've even changed the settings of my Hotmail so those messages too are now grouped by conversations. This makes it easier to find the replies to my emails, particularly when I write to several people and they all write back with their opinions.

Like Heidi, I think Gmail has the best spam filters.

I hope you find what works best for you

[Edited at 2011-04-26 21:10 GMT]
Collapse

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:40
English
+ ...
I think it just boils down to personal preference Apr 26, 2011

For me it’s the reverse: I have gotten so used to the Gmail interface I can’t stand either Yahoo or Hotmail, especially the latter. Provided that people provide a subject line and not reuse it every time, I find the Gmail way quite fine.

The comment about spam is also true, to an extent. With Gmail I have the occasional spam in my inbox and the occasional legitimate mail in my spam box, but with Yahoo mail I have the occasional legitimate mail in my inbox (and the rest are spam)
... See more
For me it’s the reverse: I have gotten so used to the Gmail interface I can’t stand either Yahoo or Hotmail, especially the latter. Provided that people provide a subject line and not reuse it every time, I find the Gmail way quite fine.

The comment about spam is also true, to an extent. With Gmail I have the occasional spam in my inbox and the occasional legitimate mail in my spam box, but with Yahoo mail I have the occasional legitimate mail in my inbox (and the rest are spam). Gmail does give you an impression that they are filtering spam very well.

That said, I check my spam box every time I check my inbox, since I’ve learnt the hard way that you can’t trust the spam filters whether they look like they work well. Legitimate mail do get into the spam box; it’s a fact of life.

It is also not true that with Gmail every piece of spam is blocked at the spam filter level. They do block IP addresses (even though they don’t tell you). Sometimes these blocks are wrong (sometimes in a very seriously wrong way) and you can’t deliver/receive mail from certain people (e.g., clients). Like with other big companies, corresponding with Google to resolve such issues is a waste of time.

[Edited at 2011-04-26 19:04 GMT]
Collapse

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I use the dinosaurian... Apr 26, 2011

Eudora from Qualcomm. On Win95, 98, SdEdition, XP and even Vista, yes. I can send mail in the name of a client, with reply to their own address, in seconds. I never lost a draft, never had to check that "Send" did the job. I can search through all mailboxes (in, out, trash, etc.) and get instant results. And I fear the day I won't be able to use Eudora anymore!

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:40
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I used to hate it Apr 26, 2011

I decided to switch to paid version of Gmail 2 years ago or so after years of using Yahoo and at first I did not like the idea of threads. Now I can't imagine working with anything else. Once you get used to it having conversation ordered in threads is very helpful and makes it much easier to follow an exchange of emails.

Still of course it is a matter of preference.
S

Ambrose Li
Ambrose Li  Identity Verified
Canada
English
+ ...
I used to use the even more dinosaurian… Apr 26, 2011

“mutt” before I switched entirely to webmail (mostly Gmail) a couple of years ago.

Sometimes it really makes me wonder why newer is not always better. I’d say these ancient email programs have certain very useful features that are still missing in the newer email programs. And these dinosaurs have been offering the user the ability to switch between threads and no threads since, like, forever.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't get used to Gmail e-mail format...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »