CV download gliche on Profile page?
Thread poster: sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
Local time: 15:35
German to English
Apr 2, 2004

I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to access anybody's .doc CV from their ProZ.com profile for months. Up until then I'd had no trouble accessing CVs and seems like this came up quite spontaneously. I reported it to support last Christmas.

This is the error message I get (German):

"XXXX.doc von www.proz.com kann nicht übertragen werden.
Die Internetseite konnte nicht ge�
... See more
I don't know about you, but I haven't been able to access anybody's .doc CV from their ProZ.com profile for months. Up until then I'd had no trouble accessing CVs and seems like this came up quite spontaneously. I reported it to support last Christmas.

This is the error message I get (German):

"XXXX.doc von www.proz.com kann nicht übertragen werden.
Die Internetseite konnte nicht geöffnet werden. Sie ist entweder nicht verfügbar oder konnte nicht gefunden werden. Versuchen Sie es später erneut."
(Page could not be opened or found. Try again later)

I've turned off my security software and experimented with different browser security levels, but the problem is still there.

Anybody else out there have this problem? I just renewed my platinum and refer to my ProZ page often when I make contact to new clients, if potential clients can't access my CV...

sylvie
Collapse

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
probably glitch on your end? Apr 2, 2004

No problemo downloading your cv, Sylvie. I left-clicked on the link on your profile and it saved to my hard drive. I right-clicked and chose "save as" and that was fine as well. Ralf too didn't have a problem so it really might just be your PC, your provider or both.

Marcus

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Glitch or not Apr 2, 2004

I will reccommend to put a link from your profile page to your CV placed on your website (if you have one). In this way your CV will always be updated the same time and accessible at all times.

If you do not have a website, it is possible to upload your CV to the future place of your website.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Weird... Apr 2, 2004

@ Malabad,
I haven't had this with any other site though, downloading .docs hasn't been a problem.
I know I'm not the only one here.

If it's an incompatibility with my provider, how do I go about remedying the situation?

(thanks for responding)
sylvie

[Edited at 2004-04-02 10:52]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
I have the same problem Apr 2, 2004

Just like you Sylvie, I used to be able to access all CVs, and since around late January I have not been able to do so. I mentioned this in the forum where you brough the subject up (though the topic was not technical problems). Ralph, one of the moderators, contacted me directly to try to help, without success. His suggestion was that, since I am using the Zone Alarm fire wall, I should deactivate it and try accessing the CVs, which I did, but to no avail. So any help or further ideas on how to... See more
Just like you Sylvie, I used to be able to access all CVs, and since around late January I have not been able to do so. I mentioned this in the forum where you brough the subject up (though the topic was not technical problems). Ralph, one of the moderators, contacted me directly to try to help, without success. His suggestion was that, since I am using the Zone Alarm fire wall, I should deactivate it and try accessing the CVs, which I did, but to no avail. So any help or further ideas on how to solve the problem would be most appreciated. Regards!Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Outlook Express? Apr 3, 2004

Just one comment,

If I were you, I would try to change the settings in Outlook Express (if you are using it). When you update this programme to ver 6 it comes with very high security settings that causes different kind of problems. Try to loosen up the "security"-level.

One commen problem is that OE removes attachements, other problems is like this one: downloading "potential virus". All files are potential virus, so this security system is a bit strict?

G
... See more
Just one comment,

If I were you, I would try to change the settings in Outlook Express (if you are using it). When you update this programme to ver 6 it comes with very high security settings that causes different kind of problems. Try to loosen up the "security"-level.

One commen problem is that OE removes attachements, other problems is like this one: downloading "potential virus". All files are potential virus, so this security system is a bit strict?

Go to options-security, and choose to use the "Internet zone", and maks sure that you "allow attachements to be saved..".
Collapse

I think I detected something... Apr 3, 2004

I have just noticed that below the "download cv/resume" link there is the word "type:", and when the type of file is specified (for example, HTML, PDF, etc.), I have no problem opening the file. However, when the type of file says "unknown", I am unable to open the files.
Maybe Sylvie would want to check if she has the same problem, and hopefully someone knows what to do in this cases, and would share his/her knowledge with us.

sylvie malich (X)
sylvie malich (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Rosa Apr 4, 2004

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

I have just noticed that below the "download cv/resume" link there is the word "type:", and when the type of file is specified (for example, HTML, PDF, etc.), I have no problem opening the file. However, when the type of file says "unknown", I am unable to open the files.
Maybe Sylvie would want to check if she has the same problem, and hopefully someone knows what to do in this cases, and would share his/her knowledge with us.

You used to have to choose the file type that you are uploading with a checkbox. This isn't there anymore. Perhaps this change brought the gliche?
Also, I just re-uploaded my CV to see if that would fix it. After the file uploaded the message "Note: If you have uploaded a photo, resume, audio or video clip, it will take several minutes for these to appear in your profile. Until they do, the links will be broken" is shown. Perhaps with a few of us the link just remains broken?

By the way, any change in Outlook Express security had no influence.
sylvie

[Edited at 2004-04-04 19:40]

Two against the world? Apr 5, 2004

[quote]sylvie malich wrote:

You used to have to choose the file type that you are uploading with a checkbox. This isn't there anymore. Perhaps this change brought the gliche?
Also, I just re-uploaded my CV to see if that would fix it. After the file uploaded the message "Note: If you have uploaded a photo, resume, audio or video clip, it will take several minutes for these to appear in your profile. Until they do, the links will be broken" is shown. Perhaps with a few of us the link just remains broken?

By the way, any change in Outlook Express security had no influence.
sylvie

quote]

Well Sylvie, it looks like you and me are the only ones with this problem. After discussing the matter with my Internet provider and a couple of friends who are well versed in IT, all concur with you in that there seems to be a lot of broken links that prevent us from accessing the .doc resumes (apparently the HTML and PDF files pose no problems). The question still remains how to solve the problem?
Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CV download gliche on Profile page?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »