https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/203924-avira_thinks_wordfastdot_malware.html

Avira thinks Wordfast.dot malware
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:04
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 24, 2011

I installed my software on a new Win7 computer. The security software is Avira. In Word XP I set Macro security to low and copied the WF-dot-file into Startup-folder, as many times before.
But now every time I start Word the anti-virus package sends a message about detected malware. In order to use Wf-classic I have to de-activate Avira.
What can I do except search for more reasonable anti-virus.
(On Vista I used Avira without any problems)

Regards
Heinrich... See more
I installed my software on a new Win7 computer. The security software is Avira. In Word XP I set Macro security to low and copied the WF-dot-file into Startup-folder, as many times before.
But now every time I start Word the anti-virus package sends a message about detected malware. In order to use Wf-classic I have to de-activate Avira.
(On Vista I used Avira without any problems)

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2011-07-24 17:29 GMT]
Collapse

Erwin van Wouw
Erwin van Wouw  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:04
English to Dutch
add an exception rule Jul 24, 2011

Add Wordfast.dot to the list of objects to be omitted by the guard and the scanner. Be sure to check the box Expert mode first.

Best regards,
Erwin

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not a WF-related issue Jul 25, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

1. Use a more reasonable operating system that requires no anti-virus.

2. Request a patch from the vendor of Avira.

BTW, this question is sort of off-topic here, since the problem is clearly not about WF.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Changed to AVG Jul 25, 2011

The problem was solved by de-installing Avira and installing AVG. Avira was reminding every few hours wanting me to switch to the full version, so it was an easy decision.

Switching from Windows to an other operating system? No thanks, I'm satisfied with Windows. I reckoned switching to Apple would cost me more than triple compared to my new machine, because I would have to buy a more expensive computer, pc-keyboard, Mac-Office and of course Windows-license for all those programs th
... See more
The problem was solved by de-installing Avira and installing AVG. Avira was reminding every few hours wanting me to switch to the full version, so it was an easy decision.

Switching from Windows to an other operating system? No thanks, I'm satisfied with Windows. I reckoned switching to Apple would cost me more than triple compared to my new machine, because I would have to buy a more expensive computer, pc-keyboard, Mac-Office and of course Windows-license for all those programs that run only on Windows (Trados, SDLX, Studio).

The danger of virus infection in Windows is very small. Those last five years or so my anti-virus software detected only such malware, that I had already removed from the mailbox. Probably I could do without extra anti-virus software.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avira thinks Wordfast.dot malware

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »