https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/20420-adding_overwriting_text_in_screenshot_graphic.html

Adding/overwriting text in screenshot graphic
Thread poster: rjbemben
rjbemben
rjbemben  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
German to English
Apr 17, 2004

I'm not new to translation, but I'm clueless when it comes to certain computer tool issues. My question is a general one:
In translating a graphic in a document, e.g. a screenshot, is there any easy way to add or overwrite text (e.g. overwrite German text with English text)? Do you use a photo editor, or bitmap editor? Or are scissors and scotch tape easier to use (but more difficult to e-mail)?! In the past I have usually gotten away with adding a translation key below the figure, but of
... See more
I'm not new to translation, but I'm clueless when it comes to certain computer tool issues. My question is a general one:
In translating a graphic in a document, e.g. a screenshot, is there any easy way to add or overwrite text (e.g. overwrite German text with English text)? Do you use a photo editor, or bitmap editor? Or are scissors and scotch tape easier to use (but more difficult to e-mail)?! In the past I have usually gotten away with adding a translation key below the figure, but of course some customers want a more professional looking product.
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
use a graphic editor Apr 17, 2004

You need to use a graphic editor (PaintShop, PhotoPaint, etc.) and know what you're doing, if you want to deliver a finished product. This can be sometimes easy and sometimes very troublesome, it depends on the image, so it should be charged separately, I'd say per hour.
If you don't need to deliver an edited graphic you can just make a list of the translated bits of your images, with the corresponding references to the originals so that the client handles the issue.
Cheers,
G
... See more
You need to use a graphic editor (PaintShop, PhotoPaint, etc.) and know what you're doing, if you want to deliver a finished product. This can be sometimes easy and sometimes very troublesome, it depends on the image, so it should be charged separately, I'd say per hour.
If you don't need to deliver an edited graphic you can just make a list of the translated bits of your images, with the corresponding references to the originals so that the client handles the issue.
Cheers,
Grace.
Collapse

Bianca Adriaensen
Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
It depends on how often Apr 17, 2004

Robert Bemben wrote:

In translating a graphic in a document, e.g. a screenshot, is there any easy way to add or overwrite text (e.g. overwrite German text with English text)? Do you use a photo editor, or bitmap editor? Or are scissors and scotch tape easier to use (but more difficult to e-mail)?! In the past I have usually gotten away with adding a translation key below the figure, but of course some customers want a more professional looking product.

Hi, Robert.

here's what I do in similar cases:
a. take a very good look at the image's characteristics: is the font used still large enough without zooming in; is there enough space between the text parts; might the translation exceed available space; can I stick to the original margins.....
b. test a part of the image in a photo editor; test the same part in Word by using text boxes; save the files.
c. print the pages and decide which one is the best in your opinion.
d. scan them, send them to the client and let him/her decide.
e. where pdf files (even images) are concerned: I convert them with Solid Convertor to a Word file (see thread elsewhere), put text boxes over the original text (using a font type similar or close to the original), print all pages of the project, scan the pages, put them into the required format (copy/paste or conversion), send them to the client.

Have fun!

Bianca

[Edited at 2004-04-18 00:00]

rjbemben
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trial and error Apr 18, 2004

Bianca Adriaensen wrote:

b. test a part of the image in a photo editor; test the same part in Word by using text boxes; save the files.
c. print the pages and decide which one is the best in your opinion.
d. scan them, send them to the client and let him/her decide.
[Edited at 2004-04-18 00:00]

Thanks Bianca (and everyone else too!). At this point I think I'll work on your item "b" - 'trial and error' testing. What do I do with graphics that are embedded in Word? I click on them but cannot find file properties for the images. I assume that I need to copy or remove them from the document for photo editing.

rjbemben
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 18, 2004

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Cheers,
Grace.

Thanks Grace. At this point I can at least give my client an idea of what's involved!

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
The fast and dirty way Apr 18, 2004

Get a copy of a utility from techsmith. It is called "SnagIt". You can try it for a 30 day free period.

This software ($39.00 to buy) works great for this purpose. You simply take the original screen shot, and then add the new text and make another screen shot.

Please, note the selection tools on the right side of the SnagIt interface. It allows you to select "objects" within a screen shot. You will see, it is quite simple.

It is very easy to use. However,
... See more
Get a copy of a utility from techsmith. It is called "SnagIt". You can try it for a 30 day free period.

This software ($39.00 to buy) works great for this purpose. You simply take the original screen shot, and then add the new text and make another screen shot.

Please, note the selection tools on the right side of the SnagIt interface. It allows you to select "objects" within a screen shot. You will see, it is quite simple.

It is very easy to use. However, the final quality of the picture is determined by the quality of your .gif, .jpg, .png or .bmp images.

Good luck,

Ursula
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adding/overwriting text in screenshot graphic

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »