Thread poster: Mark Osborne
Mark Osborne  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:12
French to English
+ ...
May 4, 2004

Dear experts (I hope),

My office has recently bought IBM ViaVoice 10 Pro USB Edition to test the effectiveness of the software for translating purposes. I have now set everything up and trained the program to recognise my voice, and everything works perfectly with the proprietory editor, SpeakPad. However, when I try to dictate into Word, nothing happens... I can open Word by voice command, but cannot persuade it to enter my dictation... As far as I can tell, all the necessary options are activated. Can anyone please help? The experiment seemed to be going so well...

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 16:12
English to German
+ ...
activate the microphone icon in the floating bar and push the dictation switch to "ON" on mic May 4, 2004

Mark Osborne wrote:

Dear experts (I hope),

My office has recently bought IBM ViaVoice 10 Pro USB Edition to test the effectiveness of the software for translating purposes. I have now set everything up and trained the program to recognise my voice, and everything works perfectly with the proprietory editor, SpeakPad. However, when I try to dictate into Word, nothing happens... I can open Word by voice command, but cannot persuade it to enter my dictation... As far as I can tell, all the necessary options are activated. Can anyone please help? The experiment seemed to be going so well...

Mark

[Edited at 2004-05-04 15:55]

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More complicated, I'm afraid... May 4, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:

Mark Osborne wrote:

Dear experts (I hope),

Mark

[Edited at 2004-05-04 15:55]

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try again... May 4, 2004

It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid... The microphone and all settings work well in SpeakPad, the internal editor; it's specifically something to do with the connection to Word...

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
set "translate in Word" May 5, 2004

There is a menu option which is called something like "Translate in" or "Use with" where you can click on Word. After that, it should work fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IBM ViaVoice with Word 2000

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search