https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/20906-ibm_viavoice_with_word_2000.html

IBM ViaVoice with Word 2000
Thread poster: Mark Osborne
Mark Osborne
Mark Osborne  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:56
French to English
+ ...
May 4, 2004

Dear experts (I hope),

My office has recently bought IBM ViaVoice 10 Pro USB Edition to test the effectiveness of the software for translating purposes. I have now set everything up and trained the program to recognise my voice, and everything works perfectly with the proprietory editor, SpeakPad. However, when I try to dictate into Word, nothing happens... I can open Word by voice command, but cannot persuade it to enter my dictation... As far as I can tell, all the necessary optio
... See more
Dear experts (I hope),

My office has recently bought IBM ViaVoice 10 Pro USB Edition to test the effectiveness of the software for translating purposes. I have now set everything up and trained the program to recognise my voice, and everything works perfectly with the proprietory editor, SpeakPad. However, when I try to dictate into Word, nothing happens... I can open Word by voice command, but cannot persuade it to enter my dictation... As far as I can tell, all the necessary options are activated. Can anyone please help? The experiment seemed to be going so well...

Thanks for any suggestions and help!

Mark
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
activate the microphone icon in the floating bar and push the dictation switch to "ON" on mic May 4, 2004

Mark Osborne wrote:

Dear experts (I hope),

My office has recently bought IBM ViaVoice 10 Pro USB Edition to test the effectiveness of the software for translating purposes. I have now set everything up and trained the program to recognise my voice, and everything works perfectly with the proprietory editor, SpeakPad. However, when I try to dictate into Word, nothing happens... I can open Word by voice command, but cannot persuade it to enter my dictation... As far as I can tell, all the necessary options are activated. Can anyone please help? The experiment seemed to be going so well...

Mark

[Edited at 2004-05-04 15:55]

Mark Osborne
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More complicated, I'm afraid... May 4, 2004

S.R. Bandi wrote:

Mark Osborne wrote:

Dear experts (I hope),

Mark

[Edited at 2004-05-04 15:55]

Mark Osborne
Germany
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Try again... May 4, 2004

It's more complicated than that, I'm afraid... The microphone and all settings work well in SpeakPad, the internal editor; it's specifically something to do with the connection to Word...

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:56
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
set "translate in Word" May 5, 2004

There is a menu option which is called something like "Translate in" or "Use with" where you can click on Word. After that, it should work fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IBM ViaVoice with Word 2000

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »