Konstantinos Karanikas B.Sc. Electr. Eng., MITI
Greece
Local time: 23:45
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
May 13, 2004

Hi, everyone

Since I am only a newcomer to these fora I would first of all like to congratulate and thank everyone for your invaluable contributions and professional attitudes.

Maybe this time I will profit from your knowledge too.

I was reading the question about editing images in Word just a little while ago and that prompted me to drop you all a line on the same subject.

There is sth that has puzzled me for quite a while now. About a year a
... See more
Hi, everyone

Since I am only a newcomer to these fora I would first of all like to congratulate and thank everyone for your invaluable contributions and professional attitudes.

Maybe this time I will profit from your knowledge too.

I was reading the question about editing images in Word just a little while ago and that prompted me to drop you all a line on the same subject.

There is sth that has puzzled me for quite a while now. About a year ago I upgraded to Windows XP and Office XP. However, when I open a word file which contains images I am not able to see them as I should. I can, however, create a new file in Photoshop and paste the images in there, and Presto! the images pop up on my screen. This is not, however, very convenient for me since I am into engineering projects and I would like to see the various drawings while translating instead of switching back and forth between files.

Obviously I am doing sth wrong or missing sth. Could you please suggest anything at all? Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated since this problem has become quite frustrating for me nowadays.

Thank you all in advance.

Konstantinos Karanikas (aka 'babaloo')
Technical Translator En-Gr-En
Collapse

Sarah Ponting
Sarah Ponting  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:45
Italian to English
+ ...
Options May 13, 2004

Konstantinos Karanikas wrote:

About a year ago I upgraded to Windows XP and Office XP. However, when I open a word file which contains images I am not able to see them as I should.

Are you sure that you have ticked the appropriate box? From the Tools menu, select Options and the "Display" tab to check that the "Drawings" box is ticked.

HTH

Sarah

PS - the names of the commands may be slightly different as my version of Word is Italian and so I've translated them myself for you.

[Edited at 2004-05-13 16:42]

Greece
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Why don't I see images in a Word file? May 13, 2004

Yes, Sarah, the box \'View > Drawings\' under Tools > Oprions has been ticked!

This is what puzzles me the most.

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Try changing the view in Word May 13, 2004

At the bottom left of the Word screen there are little symbols (icons) for the different views in Word. I suspect that you may be permanently in "Normal View". Try changing to the "Print Layout View"; you should then be able to see all embedded images.

The names of the views may not be exactly as explained above. I use the German version of Word and am not 100% sure of the English equivalents.

Hope this helps. If it does please let us know.

Regards from Ger
... See more
At the bottom left of the Word screen there are little symbols (icons) for the different views in Word. I suspect that you may be permanently in "Normal View". Try changing to the "Print Layout View"; you should then be able to see all embedded images.

The names of the views may not be exactly as explained above. I use the German version of Word and am not 100% sure of the English equivalents.

Hope this helps. If it does please let us know.

Regards from Germany
Bob
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
Picture placeholders? May 13, 2004

If you at least see the space where images actually stand, you can try unchecking the "picture placeholders" option under the same tab where "drawings" option is located.

Greece
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, Yes, Yes, ... Thank you guys and ...gals !!! May 13, 2004

Dear Bob, I was in Print Layout View already ...

Dear Vesna, what you suggested made the difference!!!

Thanks a million! Vesna,Bob and Sarah,now I can be a happy little fellow again!

Thanks for bringing glorious Technicolor on my screen again after such a long time! I knew I could depend on you people.

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
You're welcome May 13, 2004

Activating picture placeholders comes useful when you work in Trados. I'm sure that there will be times when you'll be glad to get rid of the pictures when you work on a translation.

Greece
Member (2003)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again ! May 14, 2004

Dear Vesna, now that I know how to go about it, I will be able to switch on and off in a most effective manner.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why don't I see images in a Word file?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »