https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/22748-turkish%3A_how_to_enter_turkish_special_characters.html

Turkish: How to enter Turkish special characters?
Thread poster: LBoeuf (X)
LBoeuf (X)
LBoeuf (X)
Local time: 00:55
English to French
+ ...
Jul 9, 2004

Hi,

Can you help me? I would like to know how to enter Turkish special characters like ç, ö, ü, etc. (especially the characters ð, ý, þ in small and large caps) via a non-Turkish keyboard (preferably via ASCII codes).

Thank you for your help (please answer in English only, I don't know any Turkish yet...).

Best regards,

Céline

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use Windows character table Jul 9, 2004

This small programm is accessible via Start -Programms - Tools (or similar, depends on your OS language).
There you can select the font (usually it will be Arial, Times New Roman or Courier New) and then see the characters you need. After selecting the proper charcter you can see its code shown.

That´s all

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Look here for Win
... See more
This small programm is accessible via Start -Programms - Tools (or similar, depends on your OS language).
There you can select the font (usually it will be Arial, Times New Roman or Courier New) and then see the characters you need. After selecting the proper charcter you can see its code shown.

That´s all

Regards
Jerzy

PS
Look here for Windows CP Turk
http://www.kostis.net/charsets/cp1254.htm
ISO-page should be this one
http://www.kostis.net/charsets/iso8859.3.htm
Collapse

LBoeuf (X)
LBoeuf (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, I know how to enter them in Word... Jul 9, 2004

...though I always find going via the menu quite tedious. What I am particularly looking for is a quick way to enter them in Trados TagEditor. Any further suggestions?

Selçuk Budak
Selçuk Budak  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
Here are the DEC codes Jul 9, 2004

ç = 0231
Ç = 0199
ð = 0240
Ð = 0208
ý = 0253
Ý = 0221
ö = 0246
Ö = 0214
þ = 0254
Þ = 0222
ü = 0252
Ü = 0220

These works with Alt key combinations, that is to say, you should hold down the "Alt" key and simultaneously enter the corresponding DEC code (including leading "0").

You would need fonts that support Turkish Character Set, preferably, unicode fonts as mentioned by one of t
... See more
ç = 0231
Ç = 0199
ð = 0240
Ð = 0208
ý = 0253
Ý = 0221
ö = 0246
Ö = 0214
þ = 0254
Þ = 0222
ü = 0252
Ü = 0220

These works with Alt key combinations, that is to say, you should hold down the "Alt" key and simultaneously enter the corresponding DEC code (including leading "0").

You would need fonts that support Turkish Character Set, preferably, unicode fonts as mentioned by one of the posters above.
Also, please note that you should switch the Turkish code page (MS Turkish 1254) to correctly display Turkish Characters. Without proper code page, you may not be able to display them.

h.i.h.

[Edited at 2004-07-09 13:13]

[Edited at 2004-07-09 18:57]
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 15:55
English to Arabic
+ ...
If your PC has MS Windows 2000 or XP Jul 9, 2004

Greetings.

If you plan on doing a lot of into-Turkish typing, and if your PC's OS is either MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is much better of the two), you could do two things to simplify entering Turkish characters in your text:

1. Install the Turkish language support feature (based on UNICODE) that is included inside the basic CD for MS Windows.

2. Then go to the MS website and use the search box to find and display the layout diagram of the Turkish keyboard (
... See more
Greetings.

If you plan on doing a lot of into-Turkish typing, and if your PC's OS is either MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is much better of the two), you could do two things to simplify entering Turkish characters in your text:

1. Install the Turkish language support feature (based on UNICODE) that is included inside the basic CD for MS Windows.

2. Then go to the MS website and use the search box to find and display the layout diagram of the Turkish keyboard (both 101-key and 104-key versions are accessible).

o Print out that diagram and make a larger copy to minimize your eyestrain.

o Practice the Turkish keystrokes until they become familiar and habitual.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish, and Farsi)
San Pedro, California, USA
Collapse

LBoeuf (X)
LBoeuf (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Selçuk Jul 9, 2004

Selçuk Budak wrote:
ç = 0231
Ç = 0199
ð = 0240
Ð = 0208
ý = 0253
Ý = 0221
ö = 0246
Ö = 0214
þ = 0254
Þ = 0222
ü = 0252
Ü = 0220

Thank you, Selçuk, that is exactly what I was looking for!

Nazim Aziz Gokdemir
Nazim Aziz Gokdemir  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
A macro to avoid having to type character codes Jul 9, 2004

CLingelser wrote:

...though I always find going via the menu quite tedious. What I am particularly looking for is a quick way to enter them in Trados TagEditor. Any further suggestions?

I'm not sure about Trados, but I use a little program called Keys32 [see http://www.szp-software.com/] to create and edit Word files in Turkish, using a US keyboard. Most new Windows versions actually include a modified QWERTY layout that allows you to type Turkish characters using a single keystroke (just go into Control Panel/Keyboard to find it) but since I touch-type in QWERTY, I don't like how this modified US layout reassigns common punctuation marks such as periods, commas, colons, etc. Keys32 lets me change only the keys I want, and I assign the Turkish characters to little-used keys like tilde, bracket keys, forward-slash, and the equal sign. When I want the original character assigned to the key I can access it by pressing alt. Thus all Turkish characters can be typed using a single stroke.

Since Keys32 works across programs (and keyboard layouts -- you don't have to be using QWERTY), my guess is that you should be able to use it with Trados. For me it has transformed working on Turkish text using a US Windows platform. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Aziz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Turkish: How to enter Turkish special characters?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »