How can I count the English words in a bilingual document?
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:00
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 12, 2004

I am required to edit a document in MS Word which is in bilingual form - English and Hindi. The Word Count function provides the total number of words whereas I just want to ascertain the number of English words as I'll be paid according to the same. I know that one way is to copy the English matter and paste it in a new file and then have the total word count but this does not seem to be practicable in the instant case because the document is somewhat long and the process of copying and pasting would consume a great deal of time.

Could you suggest a viable and easy way out? Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 08:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Use the search and replace function in Word Aug 12, 2004

Hi:
Just go to Edit/Search and replace, then in the Search window put "any character", then in "Format" choose language "Hindu".
Leave the replace with window empty.
Hit "Replace all" and you should be left with only the English text.

Just in case, make a back up copy and make sure that the "Track changes" option is not activated.

Cheers,
Ricardo

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Make a working copy and delete the text you don't want counted. Aug 12, 2004

This eliminates having to move back and forth between two files, and eliminates the extra pasting step.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, it does not work! Aug 13, 2004

Ricardo Martinez de la Torre wrote:

Hi:
Just go to Edit/Search and replace, then in the Search window put "any character", then in "Format" choose language "Hindu".
Leave the replace with window empty.
Hit "Replace all" and you should be left with only the English text.

Just in case, make a back up copy and make sure that the "Track changes" option is not activated.

Cheers,
Ricardo

I am sincerely thankful to you but regret to inform you that this just does not work and Hindi words do not stand deleted after following the above procedure.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your suggestion..... Aug 13, 2004

as it helps in avoiding one step of pasting and thus saves time. However, I am still looking for a more convenient and time saving method/procedure/function/command, if the same exists at all for doing the needful in this respect.

GoodWords wrote:

This eliminates having to move back and forth between two files, and eliminates the extra pasting step.

[Edited at 2004-08-13 02:39]

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
did you use a CAT tool? Aug 13, 2004

If you did, is the Hindi the source or the target language?
If it's source you should have it set as "hidden" text (even if you can see it) and when counting Word will count only the "not hidden" target text.

If Hindi is the target text, you should make a copy (in all cases work on a copy) and delete all "not hidden" text, then do a Find&Replace for "hidden" text and replace by "not hidden", and do the wordcount.

If both source and target are set as "not hidden" and Ricardo's Find&Replace (for language) does not work, I'm afraid your document languages have been wrongly set and you'll have to do it manually.

Cheers,
Grace.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:30
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

It is possible Aug 13, 2004

but only under the condition that in your document all English text is 'English' according to Options > Language. You may check it: put the cursor on any English word, go to Options > Language and check if it shows English. Do the same with Hindi text.

If everything is OK, then you will be able to select all text with the same formatting (same language, in our case). To do this,
1)click on any English word (do not select anything, just click)

2)go to Edit > Search > Do not enter anything in the 'Search for' box

3)Check the box "Select all elements found"

4)Choose 'in main document' from the drop-down menu below

5)Open the drop-down menu 'Format' in the bottom of the tab > Choose 'Language' > Choose 'English" > OK

6)Click 'Find all' --> if all English text is selected you are done, just go to Tools > Statistics and write down the word count.

But all this is possible ONLY in the case if both languages have corresponding formatting options in your document.

[Edited at 2004-08-13 11:57]

One more idea: if Hindi text in your document is NOT defined as a Hindi text, you could correct this. Providing that Hindi text is typed in a font different than English text, do all the abovementioned steps for selecting all text with 'Hindi font' and then assign Hindi language through Tools > Language.

Having done this do all the above steps to select all English text for word counting.

[Edited at 2004-08-13 12:02]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I count the English words in a bilingual document?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search