https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/24157-seeking_the_advise_on_the_sim_card.html

Off topic: Seeking the advise on the SIM card
Thread poster: Irene N
Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 12:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 26, 2004

Dear colleagues,

Maybe you can help me to choose the best prepaid SIM card to be purchased and used within Europe. I have separate cellular plans when I'm in the US or Russia, it is much cheaper that way, and a tri-band Motorola. My US-based SIM card is very expensive for Europe yet in the meantime you know well what it would be to convey new phone numbers to the clients in case of purchasing individual SIM cards in every country. One additional number would be plenty. For reasons u
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Maybe you can help me to choose the best prepaid SIM card to be purchased and used within Europe. I have separate cellular plans when I'm in the US or Russia, it is much cheaper that way, and a tri-band Motorola. My US-based SIM card is very expensive for Europe yet in the meantime you know well what it would be to convey new phone numbers to the clients in case of purchasing individual SIM cards in every country. One additional number would be plenty. For reasons unknown to me:-) SMS practice in the US is at the embryonic stage, possibly because we have very cheap local and national calling plans with voice mail included.

Thank you very much.
Irina

[Edited at 2004-08-26 21:46]
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:57
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the topic Aug 26, 2004

to General Technical Issues forum (could not think of a better one). Sorry for not doing it earlier, Irene, my Internet provider had a network problem.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Were you thinking of Oxford? Aug 26, 2004

Vodafone is a British company with reasonable prices and good coverage. However, there may be a condition of recharging every X months. But check it out against other providers.

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 12:57
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not only Oxford Aug 27, 2004

Oxford including, but I have to add at least Benelux, France, Italy, and Finland. Could be more. Rechargeable is what I need since I'm not looking for a one-time deal, on the contrary - something permanent with the same phone number, which I would be able to activate or continue using as needed when I get off the plane anywhere in Europe.

Thanks!

Alexander Shchekotin (X)
Alexander Shchekotin (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:57
English to Russian
+ ...
no such thing Aug 27, 2004

Afaik, there is no such thing as a pan-European prepaid plan. I'm afraid you should buy separate sims in each country.

However, biggest operators own subsidiaries in other countries, thus offering some modest discounts for roaming calls. E.g. Vodafone: UK, Spain, Finland, Estonia.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Vodafone covers the countries you mentioned Aug 27, 2004

IreneN wrote:

Oxford including, but I have to add at least Benelux, France, Italy, and Finland. Could be more. Rechargeable is what I need since I'm not looking for a one-time deal, on the contrary - something permanent with the same phone number, which I would be able to activate or continue using as needed when I get off the plane anywhere in Europe.

Thanks!

Depending on the model of you phone, your indicator light may change or you may get a welcome message everytime you cross a border. That would mean you have a service provider by default, but it may also mean you can choose your SP (for example, the one with the best current offer). That's a bit of a nuisance to research, so I simply take the default provider (I'm never around long enough for any real savings, anyway).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking the advise on the SIM card

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »