Sending faxes successfully to Germany
Thread poster: Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
Member (2003)
German to English
Sep 3, 2004

I am sending a fax to Germany from the U.S.

They gave me this fax number:

+49 (0) XXXX XXXX-39

As I understand, I must first dial "011" to get out of the U.S. then I have been dialing the rest of the numbers as one long string. Unfortunately, it isn't working at all.

However, do the last two digits following the hyphen (39) function as an extension where I would thus have to type "*" or "#" or something like that? Or is the hyphen essentially i
... See more
I am sending a fax to Germany from the U.S.

They gave me this fax number:

+49 (0) XXXX XXXX-39

As I understand, I must first dial "011" to get out of the U.S. then I have been dialing the rest of the numbers as one long string. Unfortunately, it isn't working at all.

However, do the last two digits following the hyphen (39) function as an extension where I would thus have to type "*" or "#" or something like that? Or is the hyphen essentially ignored?

Thanks a bunch.

Ron

[Edited at 2004-09-03 15:05]
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 10:22
German to English
+ ...
Don't dial the zero Sep 3, 2004

Ron Stelter wrote:

+49 (0) XXXX XXXX-39

However, do the last two digits following the hyphen (39) function as an extension where I would thus have to type "*" or "#" or something like that? Or is the hyphen essentially ignored?

Hi Ron!

First, skip the zero.

Second, forget (ignore) the hyphen.

Let me know if it works.

Best

Alison

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:22
German to English
Ignore zero and hyphen Sep 4, 2004

[quote]Ron Stelter wrote:

+49 (0) XXXX XXXX-39

As I understand, I must first dial \"011\" to get out of the U.S. then I have been dialing the rest of the numbers as one long string. Unfortunately, it isn\'t working at all.

However, do the last two digits following the hyphen (39) function as an extension where I would thus have to type \"*\" or \"#\" or something like that? Or is the hyphen essentially ignored?

Hi Ron,

Surely, you do not need to dial 011 to get out of the states? As I would dial from, say, the UK, it would be 0049, followed by the rest of the digits, but ignoring the zero and the hyphen. Ah, I see! From the states you dial 01149 then the rest. Should work like that.

Alan

davidgreen
davidgreen
German to English
+49 explained Sep 4, 2004

here's my phone number to illustrate +44 (0) 7814 xxxxxx
+44 from in just about any country except the US means dialing 00 first. But you're correct though that from the US it means 011.
The zero in parenthesis should be ignored in your case. It's only there to show that if you were in England you would dial 07814 xxx xxx to reach me. Hence, reaching me from the us is 011 44 7814 xxx xxx. The same applies to your number with the German country code of 49. The last two digits might be
... See more
here's my phone number to illustrate +44 (0) 7814 xxxxxx
+44 from in just about any country except the US means dialing 00 first. But you're correct though that from the US it means 011.
The zero in parenthesis should be ignored in your case. It's only there to show that if you were in England you would dial 07814 xxx xxx to reach me. Hence, reaching me from the us is 011 44 7814 xxx xxx. The same applies to your number with the German country code of 49. The last two digits might be an extension but it doesn't matter, if that's the fax number they gave you then dial all of it including these digits.
Feel free to call if anything's unclear...but if it is unclear you might not reach me either... ;·)
Collapse

Ron Stelter
Ron Stelter  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:22
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone. Sep 4, 2004

I thank everyone for their help. At first, I was a little unclear whether the first "0" should just be removed from the "011" bit. But apparently, that is retained and the middle "0" is omitted.

I did get my fax successfully sent and so there was a happy ending. (I always like stories with happy endings.) I appreciated David's offer of help by phone. But, of course, if I understand, then I probably don't need help. And, if I don't understand, then I probably wouldn't get through
... See more
I thank everyone for their help. At first, I was a little unclear whether the first "0" should just be removed from the "011" bit. But apparently, that is retained and the middle "0" is omitted.

I did get my fax successfully sent and so there was a happy ending. (I always like stories with happy endings.) I appreciated David's offer of help by phone. But, of course, if I understand, then I probably don't need help. And, if I don't understand, then I probably wouldn't get through anyways, as he astutely points out:)

[Edited at 2004-09-04 23:45]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sending faxes successfully to Germany

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »