software for website translation
Thread poster: Alenka Hall
Alenka Hall
Alenka Hall
Local time: 19:00
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 12, 2004

I might be translating a website and would appreciate some guidelines as to which, if any, software is the most adequate, or what is the normal procedure for websites. Thanks in advance.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:00
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Are you planning to use a CAT tool? Oct 12, 2004

A Wordfast user would prepare the HTML files with PlusTools or Rainbow (http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/), both freeware. This would apply an untranslatable (Trados) style to all the stuff you shouldn't translate.

The untranslatable style is recognised by Wordfast (and Trados of course) but is of use for non-CAT translators too. The styles are visible in Microsoft Word
... See more
A Wordfast user would prepare the HTML files with PlusTools or Rainbow (http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/), both freeware. This would apply an untranslatable (Trados) style to all the stuff you shouldn't translate.

The untranslatable style is recognised by Wordfast (and Trados of course) but is of use for non-CAT translators too. The styles are visible in Microsoft Word but will vanish when you save your files as HTML.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
thanks Oct 12, 2004

Thanks Gerard
I downloaded this software and it worked.
I'm now trying to understand how to convert back a translated file into a HTML page.
Can you help me in this sense?

Pamela

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
just save as... Oct 12, 2004

html

is all

Regards

Pamela Brizzola wrote:

Thanks Gerard
I downloaded this software and it worked.
I'm now trying to understand how to convert back a translated file into a HTML page.
Can you help me in this sense?

Pamela

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
It depends on the tool you used. Oct 12, 2004

Rainbow creates a default directory C:\Localization Projects\Pack1 containing a folder called Work. If you translate the files in that folder Rainbow's Tools/Post-Process Translation... will "untag" the files and offer you a set of HTML files ready for the Internet.

PlusTools creates DOC files in the same folder as the HTML files, those files are linked to the HTML files. Once you've translated the files (with Wordfast) the HTML will have automagically been updated and is ready for
... See more
Rainbow creates a default directory C:\Localization Projects\Pack1 containing a folder called Work. If you translate the files in that folder Rainbow's Tools/Post-Process Translation... will "untag" the files and offer you a set of HTML files ready for the Internet.

PlusTools creates DOC files in the same folder as the HTML files, those files are linked to the HTML files. Once you've translated the files (with Wordfast) the HTML will have automagically been updated and is ready for the Internet.

There's always the solution to save a prepared and translated DOC or RTF file with TXT and rename (outside of Microsoft Word) the TXT file with HTML.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

jmd (X)
jmd (X)  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
CatsCradle Oct 12, 2004

[quote]Pinks wrote:
which, if any, software is the most adequate, or what is the normal procedure for websites

For any beginner, CatsCradle is the best bet - it extracts the text from html files, so you don't have to worry about accidentally damaging the code. It's also free, google it on the web.
It also allows you to build a glossary that you can then use in other CAT tools. Learning how to use will be lots of fun

If you want to learn more about what does a html page make (code), try Arachnophilia (also freeware).

As you become more proficient, DV (DVX now) is a great CAT tool and also translates web pages. So is WebBudget, made especially for translating web sites - it saves the entire web site to the hard disk, so you don't miss a file.

Ben Hickman
Ben Hickman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Dutch to English
The Trados Solution Oct 12, 2004

Pinks wrote:

I might be translating a website and would appreciate some guidelines as to which, if any, software is the most adequate, or what is the normal procedure for websites. Thanks in advance.

I hope that I'm not stating the obvious, but for the sake of a complete answer, I'll add this information to the thread...
If you have Trados, you can translate HTML files using the TagEditor. The TagEditor includes a definition file that allows it to automatically recognize the HTML codes and present only the text for translation. You can also alternate between views during translation to see how the text will appear on the translated page.

Gerard de Noord
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Never download a site to translate it. Oct 12, 2004

I share jmd's predilection for CatsCradle: it's easy. I haven't used it for some time but the biggest problem I had was that I couldn't be sure if all the bolds and italics where in the right place in the translation.

I once downloaded (sponged) a site I was asked to translate and the project became a nightmare. If a site contains pages or sections that are being created on the fly (fed from a database) the sponging software will create HTML files that don't exist and you'll miss ou
... See more
I share jmd's predilection for CatsCradle: it's easy. I haven't used it for some time but the biggest problem I had was that I couldn't be sure if all the bolds and italics where in the right place in the translation.

I once downloaded (sponged) a site I was asked to translate and the project became a nightmare. If a site contains pages or sections that are being created on the fly (fed from a database) the sponging software will create HTML files that don't exist and you'll miss out on all the variants. ProZ.com is a good example of a site you can't translate by sponging it.

Always ask for the files or the right to FTP all files.

Regards,
Gerard

[Edited at 2004-10-12 18:34]
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
software for website translation Oct 13, 2004

Try OmegaT for translating the website. You can place the entire website, including multiple HTML files, nested folders and graphics, in the /source folder, and when you've finished the translated website will be mirrored in the /target folder with all the directories, graphics, etc. in the right place.

I agree that you should ideally be supplied with all the files by your customer, but if you do find yourself having to download a website, try wget.

OmegaT and wget are
... See more
Try OmegaT for translating the website. You can place the entire website, including multiple HTML files, nested folders and graphics, in the /source folder, and when you've finished the translated website will be mirrored in the /target folder with all the directories, graphics, etc. in the right place.

I agree that you should ideally be supplied with all the files by your customer, but if you do find yourself having to download a website, try wget.

OmegaT and wget are both free. Download from:

http://www.omegat.org/omegat/omegat.html
http://wget.sunsite.dk/

Marc
Collapse

Pamela Brizzola
Pamela Brizzola
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
The last question Oct 13, 2004

Thank you all.
I have the last question.
Since I have TagEditor, I can work the html file directly and I can also see a preview of both source and target. Fine.

Here comes the question:
Do I just need to clean the file to deliver an html file to the client or do I have to do something else?
Is the client going to receive a proper html file to be used in their Web site o on-line guide?

Thank you in advance

Pamela

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

software for website translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »