My screen went black
Thread poster: xxxsarahl
xxxsarahl
Local time: 11:11
English to French
+ ...
Nov 18, 2004

Hi all!
Yesterday, as I was working on my laptop, the screen went totally black. It's a little bit better today, but it's still very dark, and I can't see the arrow. Anyone had a similar mishap?
It's an HP notebook, it's one year old, the OS is XP pro.
I was not online at the time.
Thanks for any input.
Sarah

Direct link Reply with quote

Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:11
English
ooops! Nov 18, 2004

Notebooks are a beast all unto their own.

My first guess would be that the backlighting LED's are at fault. These do have a limited lifespan rated at some 10's of thousand hours. This would require professional repair.

Another less likely, but remotely possible, cause might be damage to the cables supplying power/data to the LCD panel. This would require professional repair.

Not trying to sound patronising, but could you have accidentally hit a brightness or contrast control? or even a hotkey to switch display to an external monitor?(by far the cheapest fix for the problem).

In the meantime, you could always plug in an external CRT monitor to access what you need on the notebook.

Good luck.

xxxsarahl
Local time: 11:11
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks TechTrans Nov 18, 2004

Thank you for your suggestions.

I really don't know what happened. Unfortunately, I don't think I hit the wrong key, I was just reading my translation on the screen when it bailed out on me.

I guess I will have to use an external monitor for now, I hear repairs are very, very expensive, about the price of a new computer.

Thanks for your support.
Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My screen went black

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search