Logging on to Windows - set-up altered by new software
Thread poster: Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Local time: 15:30
Norwegian to English
Nov 24, 2004

I know this may seeem trivial, but I have just bought a new HP 4070 scanner, and after installing the software I find that my Windows set-up has been altered so that when I start Windows (XP Professional V 5.1 Build 2600) I get this annoying "welcome screen" and have to click on my user name to continue starting Windows. This has never happened before, and it annoys me that HP find it necessary to mess with my settings in this way. When I search in Windows Help, I am told that I can switch off t... See more
I know this may seeem trivial, but I have just bought a new HP 4070 scanner, and after installing the software I find that my Windows set-up has been altered so that when I start Windows (XP Professional V 5.1 Build 2600) I get this annoying "welcome screen" and have to click on my user name to continue starting Windows. This has never happened before, and it annoys me that HP find it necessary to mess with my settings in this way. When I search in Windows Help, I am told that I can switch off this welcome screen, but then I will get a "log-on prompt" which requires a user name and password - which is even more annoying, og course! In fact, I daren't even select this option, as I don't have a password: what if I couldn't start Windows at all? So, how can I get back to where I was before I installed HP's software; in other words, Windows just starts, without these unnecessary interruptions? I'd be grateful for any advice.Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
might be this Nov 24, 2004

If you check on the Users and find a "misterious" ASP.NET user, then .NET service must have been installed (maybe the scanner software needs it and installed it).

Check this article: PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You Install the .NET Framework 1.1 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

I had this exact problem and got rid of t
... See more
If you check on the Users and find a "misterious" ASP.NET user, then .NET service must have been installed (maybe the scanner software needs it and installed it).

Check this article: PRB: Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You Install the .NET Framework 1.1 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

I had this exact problem and got rid of the welcome screen following the directions here.

Regards,
Grace.
Collapse

Arroger
Arroger
Canada
English to French
+ ...
HP Nov 24, 2004

I bet that if you uninstall the software, everything comes back to normal, I bet it is a bad installation, uninstall it and see.
Reinstall it afterwards. I hope that I win my bet.
good luck. I had a similar problem lately, but with a printer, and so did M.Côté (l'autre)
Roger

Mathew Robinson
Mathew Robinson
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:30
English
.NET Nov 24, 2004

I think Graciela is right about .NET. It was probably installed with the HP software. I would doubt that uninstalling the HP software would return the system to normal as .NET becomes an integral part of Windows.

Installing XP SP2 also fixes this log-in issue.

Geoffrey Barrow
Geoffrey Barrow
Norwegian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, that worked! Nov 25, 2004

Thank you Grace, you hit the nail right on the head. There was indeed a hidden user called ASP.NET on my machine. I followed the instructions that you pointed me to, and the problem was gone. However, it really makes you think, when Microsoft are aware of this problem themselves and have to post a solution! Why can't they simply fix their software so that the problem doesn't arise in the first place? And what is all this ".NET" crap anyway? It looks like another case of the nerds in Microsoft wh... See more
Thank you Grace, you hit the nail right on the head. There was indeed a hidden user called ASP.NET on my machine. I followed the instructions that you pointed me to, and the problem was gone. However, it really makes you think, when Microsoft are aware of this problem themselves and have to post a solution! Why can't they simply fix their software so that the problem doesn't arise in the first place? And what is all this ".NET" crap anyway? It looks like another case of the nerds in Microsoft who have too much time on their hands and think it's cool to produce more and more unnecessary garbage which only makes life more complicated for the customer. I have no use for it, and the impression I get is that it is all part of Microsoft's Master Plan to make all PCs eventually part of some huge network. At best, Microsoft are filling up people's hard-disks with unnecessary and unusable software, and in view of the potential danger of spreading viruses, this seems to me to be a misguided concept anyway which users should fight against at every opportunity.

Sorry about the rant, but sometimes I get so angry when MS and other software suppliers feel that they have the right to force such things upon me.

Thanks also to the others who replied to my question. Unfortunately, Roger, I'm afraid you didn't win the bet, but thanks for taking the time to respond anyway. Just to be fair, I uninstalled each of the applications (five in all) which came with the scanner in turn, and the problem was not solved until I followed the Microsoft fix which Grace pointed me to, which involved editing the registry. This is, admittedly, something I do not do lightly, but in this case I guess I had no choice!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Logging on to Windows - set-up altered by new software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »