Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
Local time: 05:19
English to German
+ ...
Dec 7, 2004

Hello

I finally updated my computer with Window XP Service Pack 2.

The only problem I have now is that my e-mail account (Outlook Express 6) is totally empty. I remember that this happend before and it was the reason why I uninstalled Service Pack 2.again.
Would anybody have an idea what happend or how I could get back my folders and addresses?
Thank you very much!
Regards,
Andrea

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:19
English to German
+ ...
Search for *.pst Dec 7, 2004

Dear Andrea,

your problem is:

The only problem I have now is that my e-mail account (Outlook Express 6) is totally empty.

Hm, this must be very annoying, I understand. Personally, I have never encountered this issue as I am continously archiving every e-mail now and then.

Additionally, I use Outlook 2003 which is different from Outlook Express. Nevertheless, I advice you to search your computer for a file named like this: *.pst. There must be your complete e-mail archive compiled by OE6.

Having found this particular file you may want to import it into OE6 again.

HTH,
Carsten

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalled Service pack 2 again Dec 7, 2004

Hello Carsten,

thank you very much for your reply. I uninstalled Window XP Service Pack 2 again and my mailbox came back. (-:

Than I read your posting;

I did followed your advise and searched for *.pst
so I will try to install Window service pack again now that I know where the missing folders are hiding.

Thanks again Carsten!
Kind regards,
Andrea

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:19
English to Spanish
.dbx Dec 8, 2004

Be careful Andrea: .pst is the file extension for Outlook, whereas .dbx is the one for Outlook Express.

Unless you changed the folder where you store your mails, you can usually find all your .dbx files under

Documents and Settings
YourUsername (probably Andrea)
Local Settings
Application Data
Identities
GUID identifier (looks like {6F74716F-BE13-4DAB-995D-B85E733F0524}
Microsoft
Outlook Express

et voila. Probably i
... See more
Be careful Andrea: .pst is the file extension for Outlook, whereas .dbx is the one for Outlook Express.

Unless you changed the folder where you store your mails, you can usually find all your .dbx files under

Documents and Settings
Local Settings
Application Data
Identities
Microsoft
Outlook Express

et voila. Probably it's easier to do a search Check that you can view hidden files (click on "Tools" in the explorer, then "Folder Options", "View", "Show hidden files and folders."), or otherwise you won't see the elusive dbxs.

There are several tools out there to automatically backup these files; just google for "dbx outlook express backup" and you sure will find some!

Good luck!
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found my whole history Dec 8, 2004

Rossana Triaca wrote:

Documents and Settings
Local Settings
Application Data
Identities
Microsoft
Outlook Express

et voila. Probably it's easier to do a search Check that you can view hidden files (click on "Tools" in the explorer, then "Folder Options", "View", "Show hidden files and folders."), or otherwise you won't see the elusive dbxs.

There are several tools out there to automatically backup these files; just google for "dbx outlook express backup" and you sure will find some!

Good luck!

Dear Rossana,

first of all I am thrilled to get an answer from Uruguay.
I found all my folders and everything. I did like you mentioned but I still can not open the files. I do have my mail back but I was wondering how to open the stored dbx files. They all look like word
document folders with the extension of dbx.

Muchos gracias Rossana!

Kind regards,
Andrea

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:19
English to Spanish
.dbx files... Dec 9, 2004

are not meant to be "read" by you, only by OE. The idea is that you can copy the entire folder to another location and in the unhappy event you loose any important mails you can import them back using "File", "Import", "Messages", then choosing "Outlook Express 6", selecting "Import mail from a a OE6 stored directory", and finally choosing the path of your saved folder.

You can test drive this by creating a bogus identity (to avoid duplicate mails), and import your mails to this new
... See more
are not meant to be "read" by you, only by OE. The idea is that you can copy the entire folder to another location and in the unhappy event you loose any important mails you can import them back using "File", "Import", "Messages", then choosing "Outlook Express 6", selecting "Import mail from a a OE6 stored directory", and finally choosing the path of your saved folder.

You can test drive this by creating a bogus identity (to avoid duplicate mails), and import your mails to this new identity to see how the process goes (and then delete it!).

That being said, there is software out there to extract individual mails from .dbx files as .eml files (DBXtract just to name one). This is useful if you want to store your files in a different format than dbx, or if your .dbx files are damaged and you want to salvage as much as possible.

BTW, don't forget to backup your address book as well together with your mails! Better than saving the .wab file (in my view) is to go to "File", "Export", "Address book", choose "Comma separated values file", and check all fields to make sure you don't leave anything out. You now have a .csv file with all your contacts that you can open with Excel and if necessary re-import to OE6 in case of disaster.

Hope this all helps and cheers from Uruguay!
Collapse

Schwabamädle
Schwabamädle
Canada
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful Dec 10, 2004

Rossana Triaca wrote:

You can test drive this by creating a bogus identity (to avoid duplicate mails), and import your mails to this new identity to see how the process goes (and then delete it!).

That being said, there is software out there to extract individual mails from .dbx files as .eml files (DBXtract just to name one). This is useful if you want to store your files in a different format than dbx, or if your .dbx files are damaged and you want to salvage as much as possible.

BTW, don't forget to backup your address book as well together with your mails! Better than saving the .wab file (in my view) is to go to "File", "Export", "Address book", choose "Comma separated values file", and check all fields to make sure you don't leave anything out. You now have a .csv file with all your contacts that you can open with Excel and if necessary re-import to OE6 in case of disaster.

Hope this all helps and cheers from Uruguay!

Dear Rossana,

thank you so much for providing me with such an helpful answer.
You sure know what you are talking about. I tried to memorize it all day yesterday (-;

All the best to you!
Andrea

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Window XP Service Pack 2

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »