Conversion of PDF to WORD (a problem with a file containing Persian text)
Thread poster: Alireza Karbalaei

Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
Local time: 12:44
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Jan 2, 2005

Converting/copying a PDF file containing a persian text to WORD (.doc) gives a distorted WORD document! Could any one please tell me what I must do to have a sound and neat WORD (.doc) version of a PDF file containg a Persian text? I use Adobe Acrobat 6.0.0 Professional and MS Office WORD 2003. So many thanks in advance for your help.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-01-02 11:18]

Per Riise  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 10:14
Member (2003)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Source format Jan 2, 2005

PDFs can be created from almost any source format. If you convert your file into Word, it does not mean that the formatting will be correct if the source format is f.ex. InDesign or PageMaker or similar.

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:14
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Tidy up your distorted text Jan 2, 2005

As Per Riise points out, PDFs come from various source formats. They are designed for display, not for further editing. Translators are just about the only people in the world who ever need to convert PDF files. I also use Adobe Acrobat Professional, and the results from that software are the best you can hope for. Occasionally you may be lucky and get a sound and neat WORD verion. But in your situation, your only realistic choices are to ask your customer for the original pre-PDF source document, or to tidy up the converted WORD file manually.

Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your comment. Jan 2, 2005

Per Riise wrote:

PDFs can be created from almost any source format. If you convert your file into Word, it does not mean that the formatting will be correct if the source format is f.ex. InDesign or PageMaker or similar.

Thank you very much for your comment.
Karbalaei

Alireza Karbalaei
Iran
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much for your comment. Jan 2, 2005

Peter Linton wrote:

As Per Riise points out, PDFs come from various source formats. They are designed for display, not for further editing. Translators are just about the only people in the world who ever need to convert PDF files. I also use Adobe Acrobat Professional, and the results from that software are the best you can hope for. Occasionally you may be lucky and get a sound and neat WORD verion. But in your situation, your only realistic choices are to ask your customer for the original pre-PDF source document, or to tidy up the converted WORD file manually.

Thank you very much for your comment.
Karbalaei

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion of PDF to WORD (a problem with a file containing Persian text)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search