Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:32
German to Spanish
Indexing versus Organizing Jan 12, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

So I would strongly advise anybody to create an own system on it, and to save the documents not where the programms are (ie. not on HDD C:, but at least on a different partition or on another HDD). This is what I use file manager(s) for. Possibly Google Desktop is a file manager - but I got used to PowerDesk Pro and see no reason to change, as the options it has are enough.

Regards
Jerzy

Organizing is necessary but searching a file or something contained in a file, email, contact, image, music... with W. Explorer is fortunately not more necessary, or can you imaging searching the internet without a indexing tool?

As I said I thought Yngwe's problem was related to a found file through Google Desktop.

[Edited at 2005-01-12 19:39]

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 21:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Concluding remarks. Jan 14, 2005

I want to thank everyone for their comments/contributions.

I'm actually glad that this cache feature exists in Google Desktop. It was able to locate this document with its previous content that Word could not, as they were hidden in these obscure files that Word apparently creates. The textual elements were all there.

Something that I can also recommend is to send an e-mail to yourself attaching the file you want to have a backup of.

Yngve

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Better backup-solution Jan 14, 2005

Something that I can also recommend is to send an e-mail to yourself attaching the file you want to have a backup of.

Yngve

Well, getting an old or small HDD does not cost that much nowadays. A cheap HDD from Maxtor with 40 GB costs approx. 50 $, a simple controller card approx. 15 $. After installing them in your PC you can run backup allmost every hour, but surely every day. This is safe, works allways and is quick, very quick.

Regards
Jerzy

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Restoring a cached document

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »