Thread poster: Rahi Moosavi

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:28
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2005

I was wondering if members could share the file naming conventions they use in practice. I know that some clients force us to use their own conventions but many of us have systems of our own and use them invariably for our jobs.

I personally add: (Language name)(Revision #) at the end of my file names and if it's a CAT job, I use {Clean) or (Unclean) also to differentiate between the files.

Looking forward to hear from you.

Regards,
Rahi

Direct link Reply with quote

Linn Arvidsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 16:28
English to Swedish
+ ...
File naming Feb 10, 2005

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

I was wondering if members could share the file naming conventions they use in practice.

I add "_SV" (since I translate into Swedish) at the end of the file name if the client has not asked for a specific system. If it is a CAT-job I add "_SV_clean" and "_SV_uncelan"

/Linn

[Edited at 2005-02-10 12:12]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I try to avoid that Feb 10, 2005

I try to avoid changing file names because some clients don't want me to change the file name at all.

Therefore I usually create a set of folders for each project, which are named differently depending on the job and whether I use a CAT tool or not (different sets of folders for each CAT I use).

Usually, I have a folder with the originals, one with the translated files, one where I put my revisions into and one final folder.

If I use a CAT tool, I usually create an additional uncleaned folder.

Sonja

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
I don't change the file name Feb 10, 2005

The client has a raison to have chosen this name for the file, I just add "Translation FR" before the name.

Translation FR file name.doc

mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:28
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I never change file names Feb 10, 2005

Unless the client expressly asks me to do so.
For many agencies a change in a filename is considered a negative point regarding the translator's rating.
What I do is to open different folders within the job folder (Source, Translation, Edition, Cleaned files, etc.) where I store the different versions of files.
HTHH

[Edited at 2005-02-10 14:49]

Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 15:28
what I do Feb 10, 2005

Unless instructed otherwise, I keep the original file name/project number with EN (for translation into English) in front of it.

Linn Arvidsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
But... Feb 10, 2005

lien wrote:

The client has a raison to have chosen this name for the file, I just add "Translation FR" before the name.

That that _is_ changing the file name, at least in my book.

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Never change file names Feb 10, 2005

Hi Rahi,

I would never change a file name unless explicitly told to do so by the client.

Think of web sites with hyperlinks pointing to other files: If your file is one of the "other" files, clicking the link will result in "404 Page not found".

If the client needs to manage several language versions of the same file, be sure they've got their methods to keep track of them. Otherwise they will explicitly instruct you to change the file name.

Just my thoughts,
Stefan

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
No Feb 10, 2005

Linn Arvidsson wrote:

lien wrote:

That that _is_ changing the file name, at least in my book.

because the file corresponding to this /file name/ is not my translation, it is the original in english.

Stefan Keller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Yes Feb 10, 2005

lien wrote:

because the file corresponding to this /file name/ is not my translation, it is the original in english.

Changing only 1 character *IS* changing the file name = renaming the file. Sorry, but I totally agree with Linn.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

File naming conventions

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search