Interested in investigating Machine Translation
Thread poster: Derek Smith

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
May 18, 2005

Hi folks
I translate from Italian to English
I have recently spoken to a colleage (Italian-French) whose uses MT and claims it can speed up the translation process significantly, justifying the initial expense of a commercial MT tool. I have experimented with the online demo of one application, but in my langauge pair I was totally underwhelmed by the results. However, maybe if I could increase specificity by loading glossaries or defining a subject field I could achieve more acceptable results. I also notice that Wordfast has a feature allowing interface with an MT tool. Can anyone provide any feedback on this subject? I'm considering the use of MT purely as a pre-editing tool to enable me to address to some extent the problems caused by static or falling prices and large work volumes requested. I have no intention of delivering MT translated work or otherwise allowing this kind of strategy to impact on quality.
TIA
Derek

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:58
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
MT for production translation jobs May 18, 2005

Yes,
Just do a search in the Proz forums on the word mtpostediting and you will find many thread messages showing examples of how using MT has been efficient and productive. I am finishing up another project report on the topic right now with regard to using MT for marketing press releases.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 18, 2005

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your feedback. From a cursory examination of the links you recommended and your article it looks like I'll be parting with around 1K euro/dollars so I need to be sure I can work with the tool when it's installed. Right now I need to read around in greater detail as you have recommended.

Respect
Derek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interested in investigating Machine Translation

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search