Thread poster: Derek Smith

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Italian to English
+ ...
May 18, 2005

Hi folks
I translate from Italian to English
I have recently spoken to a colleage (Italian-French) whose uses MT and claims it can speed up the translation process significantly, justifying the initial expense of a commercial MT tool. I have experimented with the online demo of one application, but in my langauge pair I was totally underwhelmed by the results. However, maybe if I could increase specificity by loading glossaries or defining a subject field I could achieve more acceptable results. I also notice that Wordfast has a feature allowing interface with an MT tool. Can anyone provide any feedback on this subject? I'm considering the use of MT purely as a pre-editing tool to enable me to address to some extent the problems caused by static or falling prices and large work volumes requested. I have no intention of delivering MT translated work or otherwise allowing this kind of strategy to impact on quality.
TIA
Derek

Direct link Reply with quote

Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
MT for production translation jobs May 18, 2005

Yes,
Just do a search in the Proz forums on the word mtpostediting and you will find many thread messages showing examples of how using MT has been efficient and productive. I am finishing up another project report on the topic right now with regard to using MT for marketing press releases.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 18, 2005

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your feedback. From a cursory examination of the links you recommended and your article it looks like I'll be parting with around 1K euro/dollars so I need to be sure I can work with the tool when it's installed. Right now I need to read around in greater detail as you have recommended.

Respect
Derek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interested in investigating Machine Translation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search