https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/32575-help_requested_problem_while_working_with_power_translator_pro.html

Help requested: Problem while working with Power translator Pro
Thread poster: elisa de la Fuente
elisa de la Fuente
elisa de la Fuente
France
Local time: 05:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 21, 2005

hello,
I'm writing from France in the hope of finding a professional that was able to help me. I've been working on a translation for tree weeks. I usually work with a translation memory but this time I used a version of Power Translator that I had in my computer. It seems that I have a problem with my processor cause my computer switches off sometimes without any reason; Last week it switched off when I was working on this translation and when I tried to open the file, a "conversion file
... See more
hello,
I'm writing from France in the hope of finding a professional that was able to help me. I've been working on a translation for tree weeks. I usually work with a translation memory but this time I used a version of Power Translator that I had in my computer. It seems that I have a problem with my processor cause my computer switches off sometimes without any reason; Last week it switched off when I was working on this translation and when I tried to open the file, a "conversion file fatal error" message popped up, so I could not open it anymore. It seems that the program was translating or doing an operation when it was interrupted and the file is blocked. I've tried to recover it with several programs but I can't.
It is an MTP file (.mtp)
I address myself to everyone who had a Power translator Pro later version (as 8 or 9) or any other programm installed in the computer (which can open an .mtp file) to ask him or her if they could help me out and try to open the file in their computers;
If someone was able to open it, could you please try to make a copy paste on a ‘word’ document and send it to my email address?
It is very important to me since a lot of work is going to be lost…
I give you my email and wait for your answers. As soon as I have your email address I’ll send you the file.
[email protected]
Thanking you in advance for your cooperation…
Elisa Sanchez

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-05-21 22:38]

[Edited at 2005-05-22 11:57]
Collapse

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
dealing with the Power Translator Pro corrupted file May 22, 2005

sisas wrote:
I'm writing from France in the hope of finding a professional that was able to help me. I've been working on a translation for tree weeks. I usually work with a translation memory but this time I used a version of Power Translator that I had in my computer. It seems that I have a problem with my processor cause my computer switches off sometimes without any reason; Last week it switched off when I was working on this translation and when I tried to open the file, a "conversion file fatal error" message popped up, so I could not open it anymore. It seems that the program was translating or doing an operation when it was interrupted and the file is blocked. I've tried to recover it with several programs but I can't.
It is an MTP file (.mtp)
I address myself to everyone who had a Power translator Pro later version (as 8 or 9) or any other programm installed in the computer (which can open an .mtp file) to ask him or her if they could help me out and try to open the file in their computers;
If someone was able to open it, could you please try to make a copy paste on a ‘word’ document and send it to my email address?
It is very important to me since a lot of work is going to be lost…
I give you my email and wait for your answers. As soon as I have your email address I’ll send you the file.
Thanking you in advance for your cooperation…
Elisa Sanchez

What Power Translator Pro version are you working with? Is it one that was distributed while under Globalink or later when it was taken over by Lernout & Hauspie.

I had the same type of problem with Reverso Pro v4 (based on PROMT98). If the computer shut down, it would lock up the Reverso dictionary file and make it unusable, and required a lot of file tweaking to make it usable again. Lots of regular saving of the file and making back-ups helped with that version. I believe it is no longer a problem with the more recent PROMT versions.

What language pair and direction are you trying to translate?

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/
http://www.geocities.com/jeffallenpubs/

[Edited at 2005-05-23 21:57]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Can't you start anew on the original file? May 23, 2005

I have no idea what kind of program Power translator is, but usually in such cases you start again with the original file and get the old segments translated automatically up to the point the machine crashed.
Regards
Heinrich

Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Possible solutions May 23, 2005

Actually, the same thing happened to me, only in a combination with WordFast (where I never had problems earlier) and just a week ago.

Now, I don't know what Power Translator is (I assume it is some CAT), but in Word, if you can't open a corrupted file, you can still "go the long way" (File -> Open, instead of doubleclicking or Windows Commander) and there, in the Open panel, right on the "open" button, there is a small downward arrow to open a menu (submenu?), where you ought to se
... See more
Actually, the same thing happened to me, only in a combination with WordFast (where I never had problems earlier) and just a week ago.

Now, I don't know what Power Translator is (I assume it is some CAT), but in Word, if you can't open a corrupted file, you can still "go the long way" (File -> Open, instead of doubleclicking or Windows Commander) and there, in the Open panel, right on the "open" button, there is a small downward arrow to open a menu (submenu?), where you ought to select "Open and correct". Most probably, your file is not hopeless, don't worry, but formatting might have been damaged. (Of course, this works only if Word can handle the mtp or whatever extension.)
The other solution is to open the original, untranslated file and hope that your TM was not damaged and your CAT can use it (in my case, this was not so straightforward: several TUs were there, but I could access to them only through context search - a nightmare, believe me).
Bonne chance,

Eva

[Edited at 2005-05-23 19:27]

[Edited at 2005-05-23 19:29]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help requested: Problem while working with Power translator Pro

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »