Acrobat Reader 7 - what would/could happen installed on computer with less than mimium requirements?
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:39
Swedish to English
+ ...
May 28, 2005

I want to install Acrobat Reader 7 on my old and dated laptop.

Only "Microsoft® Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2, Windows XP Professional or Home Edition, or Windows XP Tablet PC Edition" and "128MB of RAM" is needed according to www.adobe.com.

My reason for insisting on version 7 is that I'll have a boring flight to London on Monday and thought I'd use the time to proof the pdf-version of a translation I've just done, i.e make notes etc. which is available on in 7 (as far as I know).

Only my laptop has MS Windows Millenium (and only 64 RAM). Tried to change back to 98, but there are (according to the nice people at the computer shop across the street) no drivers for this laptop which support 98. (Re: an earlier posting by me - sorry Marc didn't dare try Linux, I screwed up trying to change to 98. If you're ever in Stockholm, give me a call and drinks are on me provided you throw an eye over my computers).

Please anybody (Marc?), is it possible/advisable to install version 7 on this old machine or do I need to stick with 6.1 (and, as far as I know, not be able to make these new-fangled notes).

Optimistically,
Madeleine

Direct link Reply with quote

shfranke  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:39
English to Arabic
+ ...
Earlier version of Adobe Acrobat OR upgrade / replace the OS OR replace PC May 29, 2005

Greetings.

Adobe Acrobat 7.0 is a good product, but it is a "memory vampire" to run.

Recommendations:

1. Get an earlier version of Adobe Acrobat

OR

2. Upgrade / replace the OS in your PC

OR

3. Get a current PC.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen. Franke

lien
Netherlands
Local time: 11:39
English to French
+ ...
Foxit PDF reader for Windows May 29, 2005

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Foxit PDF Reader is a free reader for PDF (eBook) documents. You can view and print PDF documents with it.

Foxit PDF Reader is small (the download size less than 1MB), so you can download it quickly. It doesn't need any lengthy installation, so you can start to run it as soon as you can download it.

Tsu Dho Nimh
Local time: 03:39
English
The READER does not allow editing May 30, 2005

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

I want to install Acrobat Reader 7 on my old and dated laptop.
[snip]
My reason for insisting on version 7 is that I'll have a boring flight to London on Monday and thought I'd use the time to proof the pdf-version of a translation I've just done, i.e make notes etc. which is available on in 7 (as far as I know).

The Acrobat READER is just a reader. To annotate, you need to buy the full version of Acrobat.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Different OS might cause problems Jun 2, 2005

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:
I want to install Acrobat Reader 7 on my old and dated laptop. ... Only my laptop has MS Windows Millenium (and only 64 RAM).

In my experience (not with Adobe but in general), having an old OS than specified on the minimum requirements can cause the program to (a) not work at all, (b) not work properly, (c) not install at all, (d) not install properly, or even (e) overwrite system files (because it assumes your system files are out of date). Not having sufficient RAM is seldomly a problem except that your program might not be as fast as you'd hoped.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acrobat Reader 7 - what would/could happen installed on computer with less than mimium requirements?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search