before laptop purchasing
Thread poster: Habib Mahammed
Habib Mahammed  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 15:36
Hungarian to French
+ ...
Jun 20, 2005

I plan to buy a laptop but i was surprised to see that it almost impossible to find a portable with parallel port in order to place dongle of trados freelancer 5.5. So what to do? I heard about converter usb> parallel port but as it is not a cheap device i would like to have your advices before i buy it. Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
parallel dongle for Trados? Jun 20, 2005

I thought all Trados dongles are USB. In any case, there should be notebooks out there with parallel port. I bought my Sony Vaio a year ago and that has a parallel port (and 3 USB ports).

If you plan to upgrade any time soon to Trados 7, forget about dongles, as it will be available with a soft code. (If you do upgrade, do it soon, before June 27th.)

good luck with your purchase,
Csaba

[Edited at 2005-06-20 20:47]

xxxjmd  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
laptop with a parallel port for dongle Jun 20, 2005

I believe you can buy a port replicator, USB at one end and parallel at the other end.

xxxjmd  Identity Verified
English to Slovenian
+ ...
what to do Jun 20, 2005

I haven't read your question thoroughly enough, sorry, and am now adding a word or two. Port replicators are not that expensive and it is certainly worth having one.
As for getting a machine with USB only: I bought a laptop with USB ports, no parallel port. All three USB ports failed 1 month after purchase. As none of my printers work via IR, I had to burn data on a CD and retransfer to another machine to print it.

Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A port for my portable! Jun 20, 2005

Yes I have found on the Net usb > parallel port converter. Around 40 dollars!. As it is not cheap at all i would like to be sure that the dongle will work if i use the converter. That's why if somebody using this converter for trados access can tell me about his experience I will appreciate it sososo much.
By the way thanks Csaba for your good tip about Austria. I will think about it.

Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:36
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Warranty? Jun 20, 2005

jmd wrote:

As for getting a machine with USB only: I bought a laptop with USB ports, no parallel port. All three USB ports failed 1 month after purchase. As none of my printers work via IR, I had to burn data on a CD and retransfer to another machine to print it.

Did not you have the warranty? It is clearly the warranty issue. Just take back the laptop and get the ports repaired or the leptop replaced.
I also just bought a laptop and on top of manufacturers warrantee I have repairs and accidental damadge insurance policy and a separate theft insurance for many years to come.

Burrell

dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
you can change your dongle Jun 21, 2005

transtop wrote:

... I heard about converter usb> parallel port but as it is not a cheap device ... Thank you

I called Trados and they changed it for about 25 Euro
(something like that).

didi

Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A port for my portable! Jun 21, 2005

Yes!!! I will contact trados here to get it changed to usb dongle. I hope they can do it approx. at the price you said DiDi! Thank you all for your help!

xxxtarpo
English to Dutch
By the way Jun 21, 2005

Buy a separate keyboard and a mouse for your laptop. Ergonomically speaking, it's much easier, as you will not have your arms stretched.

Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A port for my kingdom! Jun 22, 2005

tarpo wrote:

Buy a separate keyboard and a mouse for your laptop. Ergonomically speaking, it's much easier, as you will not have your arms stretched.

Hungary
Hungarian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A port for my kingdom Jun 22, 2005

Oh sorry i have forgotten the text.
Thank you Tarpo for your good advice. coming back to my port story i called trados staff who told me it's better to update my frfeelance 5.5 to 6.55 since there is no usb dongle for 5.5. Update for 225 euros + VAT! Is it the same standard price everywhere or i have to look at other countries (through net) to find a better price? Thanks for any address or advice.

Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Czech to German
+ ...
Notebook with parallel port Jun 25, 2005

transtop wrote: I plan to buy a laptop but i was surprised to see that it almost impossible to find a portable with parallel port in order to place dongle of trados freelancer 5.5.

Hi,

as I myself are looking for a laptop I'm searching around and just happened to find a notebook which could be useful to you: Asus M-2000N series (M2N) which has one EPP/ECP Parallelport/D-sub 25-pin (I'm not an expert in these things so I'm not sure whether this is OK with your dongle or not). For a review have a look at http://www17.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030711/, Prices start at about 1450 Euro (as far as I have seen).

HTH!

Charlotte

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

before laptop purchasing

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search