Thread poster: Channa Montijn

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:53
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 5, 2005

I bought a new pc (finally), Windows XP installed, Word 2003 and Trados 6.5 running... however when translating a Word file (only 23 pages) the message appeared "run out of virtual memory" (or something simular)... I could not close the segment I was working on, so I closed Word (only lost 5 minutes of work) and worked on the automatically saved file.
But the question is, how can this happen and is there a way to prevent this (settings)?
Memory: 1024 MB Dual Channel 400 Mhz DDR (2x512 MB), 800 GB hard disk, Windows XP Pro SP2.

Direct link Reply with quote

Aluf
Local time: 16:53
English to Russian
+ ...
Try increasing the minimum virtual memory size Aug 5, 2005

Hello Channa .
You may try increasing the memory size this way:
Right click on "My Computer" -> "Properties" -> "Advanced" , and then click "Settings" under "Performance" ->
"Advanced" -> then under "Virtual memory" click "Change" and then in the "Custom Size" textboxes type in something larger then there's ,depending on free disk space, initial being the smaller one (I guess it was a typo - "*800* Gb of harddisk that could have cost you about 1000US$ itself?). If your harddisk is 80 gb you can safely put the initial mark on 900 Mb.

Hope this helps .
Regards, Yuri.

Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 6, 2005

Aluf wrote:

Hello Channa .
You may try increasing the memory size this way:
Right click on "My Computer" -> "Properties" -> "Advanced" , and then click "Settings" under "Performance" ->
"Advanced" -> then under "Virtual memory" click "Change" and then in the "Custom Size" textboxes type in something larger then there's ,depending on free disk space, initial being the smaller one (I guess it was a typo - "*800* Gb of harddisk that could have cost you about 1000US$ itself?). If your harddisk is 80 gb you can safely put the initial mark on 900 Mb.

Hope this helps .
Regards, Yuri.

Thanks Yuri

Will give that a try!

And yes... it was a typo, should be 80GB of course)

Mihail M Mateev
Bulgaria
Local time: 16:53
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
switch to Wordfast Aug 6, 2005

You may try to change the CAT tool. There are so many benefits, that it is hard to explain here. But one thing is sure - you will never have problems with memory because of software CAT requirements.

Best regards,
Misho

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
surprising Aug 7, 2005

Hi

it is really surprising taking into account the amount of RAM that you have. I also have 1024 MB and my virtual memory is turned off and it never occurred to me that I lacked RAM sometimes using many memory-consuming programmes.

Piotr

xxxtlmurray
Local time: 09:53
English
I'd suggest letting Windows handle it Aug 14, 2005

There is a virtual memory setting to let Windows handle everything automatically, and usually this is the best setting.

There are some applications (FrameMaker is one, I think) which, if the virtual memory setting is too high, will fail its installation, telling you there is not enough.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virtual memory problem

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search