Editing job: must deliver Trados uncleaned file with tracked changes
Thread poster: Vanina Ricciardelli

Vanina Ricciardelli  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 07:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 1, 2005

A client of mine has assigned me an editing job. The translation was donde in Trados. I've been given the uncleaned files and I have to deliver both the unclean files with tracked changes and the clean files with the changes accepted. What I have been doing so far is to work on the uncleaned file with track changes on but WITHOUT opening the segments since Trados does not work with track changes on. The problem I'm faced with now is that all the changes I make in the uncleaned files are not stored in the TM and now that I have 80 files to edit this becomes a problem because I can't ensure consistency. Do you guys know a way around this?

Direct link Reply with quote

mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Update TM has to be selected Sep 1, 2005

You will have to make another copy of the edited files besides the one you are going to send uncleaned with track changes; accept all changes in this new copy, and then, when you open the dialogue box for cleaning files, check the box Update TM, this ensures all changes implemented in the files will be updated in the memory while the tool cleans the segments.

[Edited at 2005-09-01 21:31]

Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
German to English
+ ...
possible workaround Sep 1, 2005

Mónica's suggestion will give you a nice updated TM at the end, but it won't help you with the consistency problem because you won't be able to use the TM incrementally (since you can't use Trados with Track Changes enabled).

What you can do (if the changes are relatively minor) it to cheat. Instead of working with Track Changes enabled, simply run Compare Documents on each pair of original and revised uncleaned documents after you have finished editing (open a copy of the revised file, select Compare Documents in the Tools menu under Track Changes, and then select the original version of the file for the comparison). The result will be practically identical to the result of editing with Track Changes enabled (the only difference is that it won't show the 'history' of multiple revisions to the same bit of text, which doesn't matter for the end result but will probably give the trick away to a knowledgeable user).

As noted, this will only work if the changes are relatively minor, because the Compare Documents can become badly confused when faced with massive changes. It's also not recommended with documents containing tables (which cause the comparison process to become hopelessly confused) or documents with large amounts of graphics.

[Edited at 2005-09-01 22:32]

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had thought of that one but it doesn't work, as you mention sometimes Sep 1, 2005

Compare Documents becomes confused...and crosses out entire paragraphs and marks everything as new.

As noted, this will only work if the changes are relatively minor, because the Compare Documents can become badly confused when faced with massive changes. It's also not recommended with documents containing tables (which cause the comparison process to become hopelessly confused) or documents with large amounts of graphics.

[Edited at 2005-09-01 22:32][/quote]

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Accept & clean a second copy Sep 2, 2005

As Mònica said, you should clean a separate copy of each, after having accepted all the changes with one single click for that file.

Actually this is not extra work, as it will produce the clean files to be delivered together with the uncleaned ones.

"Clean" usually means without codes nor marks. However you might seek a confirmation from your client.

Just make sure you do it in a separate directory, so that the new bilingual files without track changes do not get mixed up with the uncleaned to deliver...

It takes less effort to do it than to explain it!

[Edited at 2005-09-02 00:23]

xxxulysem  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:34
English to German
+ ...
wordfast solution Sep 2, 2005

What about sending your client a copy that has been cleaned in Wordfast? Since you are using Trados, you can just work with WF as a parallel CAT tool and get rid of the TM easily afterwards. As to the one with track changes on, I´d proceed as suggested above.

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Check this link Sep 2, 2005

Word interface is Polish, but the text is in English
http://www.abovetranslations.com/content/tools_translators.php?lang=en#correcting

Hirundo Dutch Language Services
Japan
Local time: 19:34
English to Dutch
+ ...
Use ApSIC Comparator Sep 6, 2005

Vanina,

My reply may come too late this time, but next time consider using ApSIC Comparator (free):

http://www.apsic.com/en/products_comparator.html

In short, keep a copy of your "old" bilingual files, and start working and editing a "new" copy, using the TM as you would normally do. This also ensures that you can keep consistency beginning from the first TU you change.

Then run ApSIC Comparator to make a comparison report of your "old" (unchanged) and "new" (edited) bilingual files. All your changes will be tracked.

Asei

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU!!! Sep 12, 2005

Thank you Asei! I'm using Comparator, it is a great tool! Thanks for the tip! And thank you all for our suggestions!

Best,
Vanina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing job: must deliver Trados uncleaned file with tracked changes

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search