Thread poster: engrus
engrus
engrus  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 6, 2005

Dear Colleagues,

I will be most grateful if somebody could help us to resolve an issue that we are currently experiencing, when using certain fonts.

One of our clients requires a Russian translation delivering in the following two fonts: HelveticaCyr-Bold (True Type) and HelveticaCyr-Upright (True Type). They have sent us the fonts, and we have installed them correctly. However, we do not seem to have any luck in figuring out how to set our computers to work correctly w
... See more
Dear Colleagues,

I will be most grateful if somebody could help us to resolve an issue that we are currently experiencing, when using certain fonts.

One of our clients requires a Russian translation delivering in the following two fonts: HelveticaCyr-Bold (True Type) and HelveticaCyr-Upright (True Type). They have sent us the fonts, and we have installed them correctly. However, we do not seem to have any luck in figuring out how to set our computers to work correctly with those fonts. We use PC computers with Windows XP. The fonts work perfectly well for Latin characters, but as soon as we switch to Russian, and start typing, the font defaults back to Times New Roman. Even if we select the text and then try to alter the font type it is not responding; it just does not want to play ball.

Does anybody have any idea how we could make these two fonts work in Cyrillic characters? There may be some settings we need to change in our computers or install some additional devices (any idea which ones and where we could download those from).

All help and advice is appreciated.

Kind regards
Anna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.english-to-russian-translation.com
www.professional-translation-services.co.uk
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:55
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do you wirte in Word? Sep 6, 2005

I strongly assume it is so.
You are for sure using quite late version of Word.
Word does automatically switch the language of the text to the setting of the keyboard. If you set the keyboard to Russian and start typing, Word knows that the following text is Russian. To write with Russian Word need the extended cyryllic character set. But is uses Unicode, so it needs a Unicode font. Your font is not an unicode one. And voila - Word does not accept this and switches back to default, wh
... See more
I strongly assume it is so.
You are for sure using quite late version of Word.
Word does automatically switch the language of the text to the setting of the keyboard. If you set the keyboard to Russian and start typing, Word knows that the following text is Russian. To write with Russian Word need the extended cyryllic character set. But is uses Unicode, so it needs a Unicode font. Your font is not an unicode one. And voila - Word does not accept this and switches back to default, which is TNR...
What to do?
The easiest way would be to use Word 95 or older.
The other way I can think of, is to write the text and save as older Word version (best would be Word for Windows 2.0). After reopening the font will be garbage, but if change it then to what you need, the characters should be legible again.
If you have the possibility to type with Pagemaker, Framemaker or QuarkXPress, this will solve your problem too, as they do not support Unicode.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

engrus
engrus  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your reply Sep 7, 2005

Dear Jerzy,

Thank you very much for your reply to my posting.

Yes, we did try to type in the latest version of word when this issue came up. After you posted your reply I tried to work these fonts through Quark Express, however the Cyrillic letters in these two fonts were all the time displaying in symbols. Then I tried to save the document in the older versions of word, save it and close it. After I opened the document, everything was displaying in symbols, just as you
... See more
Dear Jerzy,

Thank you very much for your reply to my posting.

Yes, we did try to type in the latest version of word when this issue came up. After you posted your reply I tried to work these fonts through Quark Express, however the Cyrillic letters in these two fonts were all the time displaying in symbols. Then I tried to save the document in the older versions of word, save it and close it. After I opened the document, everything was displaying in symbols, just as you said. After I selected the text and changed the font to one of those Helvetica fonts we require, nothing changed. The Russian letters were still displaying in symbols, and we are no closer to resolving this problem. The only thing which we have not tried yet is to use them on the older systems and versions of word, because our computers are all state of the art with the latest software, which sometimes is of no help after all : )

Kind regards
Anna
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.english-to-russian-translation.com
www.professional-translation-services.co.uk
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Technical difficulties with Cyrillic fonts

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »