Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 01:06
English to German
+ ...
Oct 28, 2005

Hello all,
I am urgently in search of a good proxy software. Actually I am trying to share the internet line and enable the clients a "click and the dead or idle line would be active" and the domain with 5 clients, and someone told me I would need a proxy software and a proxy server. I am running a windows and a redhat server with samba protocoll 2 are on redhat and 3 are on windows. I welcome all suggestions and good help. Thank you all in advance.
Brandis

found alrea
... See more
Hello all,
I am urgently in search of a good proxy software. Actually I am trying to share the internet line and enable the clients a "click and the dead or idle line would be active" and the domain with 5 clients, and someone told me I would need a proxy software and a proxy server. I am running a windows and a redhat server with samba protocoll 2 are on redhat and 3 are on windows. I welcome all suggestions and good help. Thank you all in advance.
Brandis

found already and Thank you all!

[Edited at 2005-10-28 16:35]

[Edited at 2005-10-29 04:32]
Collapse

Zoltán Medgyesi
Zoltán Medgyesi
Hungary
English to Hungarian
Are you sure? Oct 28, 2005

Brandis wrote:

Hell all,
I am urgently in search of a good proxy software.

A good proxy software is Jana. See: www.janaserver.de

Actually I am trying to share the internet line and enable the clients a "click and the dead or idle line would be active" and the domain with 5 clients, and someone told me I would need a proxy software and a proxy server. I am running a windows and a redhat server with samba protocoll 2 are on redhat and 3 are on windows. I welcome all suggestions and good help. Thank you all in advance.

I can't understand that.
Samba protocol is for file servicing, it has no relation with sharing the internet connection.

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
English to Spanish
Squid or iptables Oct 28, 2005

Brandis wrote:
I am running a windows and a redhat server with samba protocoll 2 are on redhat and 3 are on windows.

Hi,

If your Internet line is connected to a Red Hat server then you have this options:

1) Use iptables as firewall and share your connection transparently with NAT

2) Run squid in the server and use it as caching proxy server. See http://www.squid-cache.org/

You can use firestarter, http://www.fs-security.com/ to configure the firewall.

Hope this helps,
Rodolfo

[Edited at 2005-10-28 19:24]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you are right Oct 29, 2005

mzdude wrote:

Brandis wrote:

Hell all,

Actually I am trying to share the internet line and enable the clients a "click and the dead or idle line would be active" and the domain with 5 clients, and someone told me I would need a proxy software and a proxy server. I am running a windows and a redhat server with samba protocoll 2 are on redhat and 3 are on windows. I welcome all suggestions and good help. Thank you all in advance.

I can't understand that.
Samba protocol is for file servicing, it has no relation with sharing the internet connection.
I had mentioned samba unnecessarily. It is not for networking or INET sharing. So too much information can be sometimes confusing. Thank you btw Brandis

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 19, 2005

mzdude wrote:

Brandis wrote:

Hell all,

I can't understand that.
That was a good help and it is for free, and I happen to know the developer through other riends. it just worked. Jana is not for Samba stuff, linux is better there, but the jana server umm.. you don´t even feel the installation. Thank you Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More a networking question

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »