Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:47
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Nov 4, 2005

I once long ago had a search-function on my website, that visitors could use to search for words on my site only. But then this function stopped working when the supporting site demolished the service.
Does anyone of you know about a free searching service to be installed on private websites?
I do not mean Google search buttons but a search that is confined to the particular site.
Thanks
Heinrich

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Control + F Nov 4, 2005

Just hit Control + F and when the box comes up, put in a word and it will find it anywhere on the same page, but only the same one.

This does the trick.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry ? Nov 4, 2005

Yes, I know that ctrl+F. As I stated in my posting I need a search for the SITE, not for a PAGE. There are hundreds of pages on my site.

Sherey Gould
Sherey Gould  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:47
German to English
I like Atomz Nov 4, 2005

Greetings, Heinrich -
I have had the "Atomz" service on my own website (www.AmiPros.com) for a few years now and find it highly acceptable for the price (free!) and still feature-filled/reliable. You can get a free version of their major program (more for bigger companies) as long as your website is under 750 pages. You can customize your search/results page to some degree and what I like the most -> you get
... See more
Greetings, Heinrich -
I have had the "Atomz" service on my own website (www.AmiPros.com) for a few years now and find it highly acceptable for the price (free!) and still feature-filled/reliable. You can get a free version of their major program (more for bigger companies) as long as your website is under 750 pages. You can customize your search/results page to some degree and what I like the most -> you get automatic emails once a week showing the top searches made on your website during that past week.
Check it out here:
http://www.atomz.com/applications/search/trial.htm
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sherey, Nov 4, 2005

I'm going to try that out. The registration process was the most complicated I've seen anywhere
Regards
Heinrich

Antje Harder
Antje Harder  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 02:47
Swedish to German
+ ...
Google search, restricted to your website Nov 4, 2005

You can use Google for a site search - check out SFÖ:s website for an example: www.sfoe.se

You could implement a similar function in your website, surely you can even restrict the search to your site.

Regards from Sweden
Antje

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:47
German to English
+ ...
mnoGoSearch Nov 4, 2005

mnoGoSearch and htDig are two freeware website search engines.

I've only ever had htDig working on Linux though I read it is just about possible to get it working on Windows. There is a Windows version of mnoGoSearch.

http://www.mnogosearch.org/win.html
http://www.htdig.org/

Dan Schioenning Larsen
Dan Schioenning Larsen
Denmark
Local time: 02:47
English to Danish
+ ...
Free Google local site search Nov 4, 2005

http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

Here you can register for a free Google search bar on your site, that enables you to search either locally or on WWW.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching service for websites

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »