Thread poster: Claudia Alvis

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:27
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 21, 2005

Hello,

I installed Mozilla's Thunderbird (v1.0.7) and it's working great except for the fact that I don't know when I get new messages in my different folders and sub-folders.

I have an IMAP account and use my email server rules settings to automatically sort my new messages. In Outlook Express when I get a new message in a folder or sub-folder, the name is highlighted and the number of new messages are shown. But with Thunderbird, I have to click on each folder to see if I've gotten a new email, only then I can see the name of the folder highlighted and the # of new messages. The only folders do this automatically are Inbox and the Spam folder.

I have 'Server contains folders/sub-folders' checked and 'Show only subscribed folders' unchecked but still no luck.

I posted this problem in the Thunderbird forum but I haven't gotten any replies. This feature is really important to me and I really like Thunderbird better than OE but if I don't solve this issue I'm gonna have to switch back to OE, and I don't wanna!! Does anybody know what can I do?

Thanks,

Claudia

Direct link Reply with quote

Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 14:27
English to German
+ ...
Folder Nov 21, 2005

Hello Claudia,

did you check the folder properties?
I also work with Thunderbird, and I e.g. filter all messages from ProZ.com into certain folders of an account. It works at my side, and I always receive this small letter symbol on the screen when new messages arrive, and all folders/subfolders that contain new messages are bold.
You can right click the according folder, go to "Properties", "General information" where you can check the box "Check for new messages".
But I actually don't think I did this. (I've been using Thunderbird for years now, so I actually cannot remember how I did this)
By the way: did you actually subscribe to the different folders? (right click - Subscribe)

Michaela

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
Member (2005)
French to German
+ ...
"Check this folder for new messages"? Nov 21, 2005

Caliaa wrote:
But with Thunderbird, I have to click on each folder to see if I've gotten a new email, only then I can see the name of the folder highlighted and the # of new messages.

If you right-click on a folder in the left-hand pane, there is a "Properties..." entry in the popup menu. Select that. Did you check "Check this folder for new messages" in the "General information" tab?

P.

[Edited at 2005-11-21 09:35]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:27
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2005

Thank you both Michaela and Peter!!!! Problem solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thunderbird - IMAP account, new messages in folders are not showing

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search